Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It hit me... I was in bed from 9 30pm- 6 15 am and I slept like 2-3 hours total. And I was exhausted before I went to bed- it was hot and humid- ac not in yet.. mowed the lawn, toddler to care fo. ugh. I normally sleep so great ( when not pregnant) I also had to drink so much water to stay hydrated that I swear I must have peed 8-9 times last night too.
Good grief I am only 24 weeks.. whats with all this. I thought we are supposed to feel in the second trimester.. I just finally stopped throwing up about 4 weeks ago ( still nauseas though) and now this. I just can't seem to fall asleep!! Can we take Benedryl for sleep while pregnant?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
i think benadryl is on the safe list, but you should call you hcp just to be sure. i hope you get some rest!

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
For some reason I suffered terribly with insomnia my entire 3rd pregnancy. I know how much it sucks!
I'm sorry you couldn't sleep!

When I was completely desperate, I did take Benadryl at my midwife's recommendation. Otherwise, I just suffered. Blah. No fun. I hope it gets better for you!
:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'm not sure about Benadryl but Unisom is definitely on the safe list, it's commonly taken for morning sickness.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I feel for you, mama! Sounds like my night last night, too. It was hot and stuffy in my bedroom, I was dehydrated but not thirsty (still getting up to pee a million times), my back hurts, my head hurts, I'm worn out.... ugh. 3 more months of this?! *cry*

[btw, unisom and benadryl are the same thing (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) and typically considered safe during pregnancy, although you do need to check with your provider if you have any chemical sensitivities or contraindicating health issues.]

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i get insomnia pregnant/not pregnant. i find that soaking my feet in cold water for a few minutes often helps (and i do it as a snow walk in bare feet in the winter). simple hydrotherapy technique that may not always work but feels great this time of year!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also suffer from insomnia (only during pregnancy). Since I already have 2 children ( 2 year old DS and 4 year old DD), I am normally exhausted by Thursday and can barely make it through the work day on Fri. I have tried everything, but no medications. I am paranoid about taking any meds while pregnant or breastfeeding.

In my previous pregnancy I had restless leg syndrome and I thought that caused my insomnia, but I don't have it with this pregnancy and I am lucky to get 5-6 hours of sleep/night. If you find out any great ideas let me know!!

Kristy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts