Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in my inspiration I have gotten rid of at least 4 construction size garbage bags of clothes. I have given everything plastic away ezcept sippies. I havegotten rid of pots and pans not used. I have several bags of toys gone and have been looking for more to donate. How come my house doesn't look all sparkles and magic?

Still working on it. Meanwhile needing warm blankets like wool or down. I am freezin here. Those we can't give away. Keep the motivation coming!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Awesome!!! Today I backed our car up to our front window, opened the back and just started pushing stuff out the window directly into the trunk!!! Now I have a whole carful of stuff for goodwill and an organized and cleared out play room!!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the image of the car and the window. Keep it going. Funny pic I would guess. I am going to the boot and shoes next. My boots saw their last season if it ever stops snowing. Lots of shoes like that as well. Ripped rain coats, coats never worn, time to toss.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtomany View Post
So, in my inspiration I have gotten rid of at least 4 construction size garbage bags of clothes. I have given everything plastic away ezcept sippies. I havegotten rid of pots and pans not used. I have several bags of toys gone and have been looking for more to donate. How come my house doesn't look all sparkles and magic?

Still working on it. Meanwhile needing warm blankets like wool or down. I am freezin here. Those we can't give away. Keep the motivation coming!
You sound just like me! I swear, the last 2 weeks I've given away BAGS of stuff to Goodwill, and it doesn't look like it.

I suppose that just means I need to keep going.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I was like all of you - we have taken 4 FULLLLLL SUV loads to Goodwill and I didn't see a huge difference until this weekend.

We are totally decluttering/cleaning our bedroom and that's where I saw the biggest difference. We're only using half of our closet in there now b/c of all of the clothes I have given away!

Just in the past week I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying cleaning (a true miracle - just ask my DH) b/c most things have a place.

Give it some more time, and give up some more things, you'll start to see the difference....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Way to go! I'm doing the same thing. I found Delight's post Friday about downsizing and I've been loading up a ton of things to donate this week. I listed a bunch of things on freecycle last week, but I'm not cut out for freecycle so it's all going to the thrift.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Way to go! I just found this forum last month and it gave me the bug too, yea!
Saturday I went through all the kids clothes and we kept out 7 t-shirts, 7 long sleeve shirts and some tank tops- got rid of all the pants w/ holes in the knees and there is a FULL garbage bag (can't even tie it closed) of clothes. Where did they come from?? I rarely buy them clothes myself.
Not anything you can notice when going into their rooms though- :-( but it felt good anyway.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtomany View Post
How come my house doesn't look all sparkles and magic?
Until you truly declutter your house may still look cluttered!

My kitchen clean up is a cinch now that it's not housing junk my MIL gave me 13 years ago! LOL! I can actually find the pans I really use instead of having to move the ones I never use in order to get to the ones I do use!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 10, 9, 7, and 45 mos

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I agree - you just have to keep plugging away. It has really amazed me how much unneeded stuff I have....and I don't even realize it.

I've never been a pack-rat by nature but the first time I decluttered I was surprised at how much I found. Did it again 3 months later...more stuff...then we started talking about moving...WAAAAYYYY more stuff. Not only stuff that we have been able to donate and sell and recycle, but just plain old garbage too. I'm not kidding, we have been setting out the max amount of garbage allowed for several weeks now.
And again, I never considered myself a packrat and our house never really looked cluttered.
:

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Good for you. I have been a decluttering maven this past week. 16 bags of garbage and one 55 gallon fish tank were moved out of the house. It actually looks somewhat decent in our house now. Still so far to go, though. And I need to tell dh that I threw away his prescription for his Colonoscopy and needs to have the dr. send a new one. Unfortunately in my insane cleaning I put it in the wrong pile. Now, if I could just find someone to take the fishtank so I don't have to make landfill out of it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kewb View Post
Good for you. I have been a decluttering maven this past week. 16 bags of garbage and one 55 gallon fish tank were moved out of the house. It actually looks somewhat decent in our house now. Still so far to go, though. And I need to tell dh that I threw away his prescription for his Colonoscopy and needs to have the dr. send a new one. Unfortunately in my insane cleaning I put it in the wrong pile. Now, if I could just find someone to take the fishtank so I don't have to make landfill out of it.
Around here, if you put the fish tank out for the trash someone will pick it up. If I have somehting like that I put it out during the day the day before garbage day and it's always gone by morning. We have people driving around in pick up trucks garbage picking. Wonder what they would think if they saw this thread!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Mommyto2-that is so funny imagining the car backed up to the window. I hope you took a pic.

momtomany-Congrats on all your hard work. It almost gets obsessive after awhile. Kinda like reverse retail therapy. I am constantly looking around going "what can I get rid of?"

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
keep up the good work...if you just keep tackling small projects one at a time, it really will start to make a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.