Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sounds like he's right on schedule to start to assert his independence. My favorite suggestion for that stage is to offer choices for everything. Let him be in charge of which shirt he wears, which spoon he uses at breakfast.. everything. But just make sure that you give him a limited number of options (like two or three) and that they're options that you can live with either way. Rather than "telling" him what to do, let him help you decide what to do. It will make you both a lot happier and make him feel proud that he has some control over his life.

As far as the sleep thing, I don't have any suggestions to get him to sleep later, but I don't understand why you're checking in to tell him to go to sleep. It sounds like he's content to just lie there until he's ready to fall asleep. He's not crying or anything, right? It might be that you going into his room is actually keeping him awake. I would just let him be, unless he's crying or yelling for you or something. Maybe he just needs more time now to process his day before he can nod off. I know I can't fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, and having someone tell me to go to sleep wouldn't help!

Good luck getting your happy boy back!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.