Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on a blog about a casting in the LA area for "Instant Parents" for a TV Reality Show and I was wondering from the point of view of blended families if this term makes sense or is offensive, or is an apt description of your process of blending?

Blog Post Here if you are curious.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I don't think the term is offensive. At the same time, I hardly believe it is "an instant" kind of process. For the sake of the children, one would hope that the process of blending is rather slow and takes into consideration the time the kids need to feel like a family.

I've been in dsd's life since she was 7, I lived with her dad now for about 4-5 years (losing track here heh), and she's been living with us full time for almost a year, since she was fourteen. Nothing about this process seemed instant.

I'd say it took us about 6 years to find our dynamics where she would feel comfortable with my role in her life, and I would feel "okay, I DO fill in a parenting role in her life".

I don't know the angle the show will take, and how all involved in it will feel, so it's hard to argue for or against the show without actually seeing it. That being said, I have a general distrust for the "reality" of "reality tv".

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Wow. What won't they put on reality TV? It sounds like they are looking for a modern, real-life Brady Bunch. Good luck with that one.

They say that there are two things that people should never see made - laws and sausages. I think blended families are like that, too. It's messy, emotional, people aren't always at their best... I suppose that is why it would make for good TV. For me, it is something that I am glad was/is private.

I wonder what the show will focus on. The new relationship? The new spouse's relationship with the kids? I hope they show both houses that the children live at and the view from both sides.

I'll be honest, I've always felt a little weird about kids on reality TV. Especially on those spouse-swap shows. It seems like they can't really give informed consent, ykwim?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
It's messy, emotional, people aren't always at their best... I suppose that is why it would make for good TV. For me, it is something that I am glad was/is private.
I agree 100%. I can't imagine going through the emotions of it all in front of the camera.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I make both laws and sausages...hmm...

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should chime back in - I'm the child of a blended family that blended when I was 12 (my Bro was 10, my stepBros were 11 and 14) and I can't imagine anyone asking/talking/filming that process. I was horrid to my SD, my SBros were strange my bro got quiet, I went wild....it's just a crazy personal process for each person as well as for the group at least in my experience. So yeah, I'm a bit skeptical about how the show will affect the children "participating."

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I don't find the term insta-parent or insta-family offensive... I think it gives a bit of an unrealistic view to what really happens...

But I HATE reality TV and don't feel it's reality at all... they have to be scripted in some ways, because big TV productions aren't going to risk losing money on having a boring show.

I too hate any "reality" shows that involve children that are not mature enough to understand everything and can only imagine what it does to their delicate pyshches.
Like that spouse-swap. *cringes and shudders*

If it is taking real newly blended families... these poor kids are going to need even more counseling to deal. The situation is stressful and confusing enough and certainly doesn't need silly Hollywood drama making it worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.