Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about getting a Diva Cup and read all about the Keeper, Mooncup ect on the other thread. I have been reluctant because I had frequent UTI problems probably about 5 yrs ago. I occasionally get one here and there but try to do everything to avoid one. There has been a few times I have had "pressure" feelings like urgency and it went away the next day. So I am reluctant to fork over $30 and not be able to use it if there is a problem.

I ended up getting a package of Instead and they work really well. I paid $7 for a box of 14 cups. Kinda pricey but I wanted to try it out.
They are polyurethane and I couldn't find anything bad online about using it (same as using condoms) . Aside from them being disposable I haven't found anything bad about them. I also like that you can use them for intimate times too.

Anyone use them? Anyone with infection problems past or present? Anything I should know?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I have used Instead, and I too dump and rinse them and reuse one (maybe two) per cycle. A box can make it a year like that! That's pretty enviromentally friendly and economical!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I tried Insteads a couple times. Sometimes they worked great but usually they leaked all over the place. I just started using a DivaCup this month and I LOVE it. It's totally worth the money. Menstrual cups rock!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've used Insted, but have switched to the Diva Cup and haven't looked back. I didn't like (about instead) how it would sometimes leak when I sat down, whether on the toilet or on the floor. Also, it doesn't hold as much as the Diva, which matters on those few days when I have really heavy flow. I did think Instead was easier to insert correctly than Diva, but I had to empty it more often. For me, Instead is a step above tampons, but a step below the Diva.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I really like the Instead cups. Until I get the Diva - I think it's a great product - but I only pay about five bucks for a box of fourteen. Between those and a couple of moon pads that I got for super cheap from a WAHM here on MDC - I'm set! I buy maybe 6 boxes a year. ( I really need to get the Diva cup) They don't leak on me either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Question - what does frequent UTI's have to do with method of sanitary protection?

If you are happy with Insteads, I don't know why you would want to change. I found them to be a PITB to insert & remove (what a mess I always made!) and had frequent leaks. Have never leaked with my Mooncup, and will never use anything else again.

Each person's anatomy is slightly different - what works for you might not work for the next person.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.eves-best.com/menstrual-alternatives.htm

When I was researching I found that someone said they started having problems after using the cup ...the site also suggest limiting use of a cup to heavy flow days only so chances of infection are less likely???

I know not to believe everything I read online but I was just curious because so many women here use a cup and are more in tune with their bodies. If someone is prone to infections then they would get them either way I guess.

Also if a cup was causing someone to feel pressure when they are wearing it then they could confuse that with urgency (needing to go feeling).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.