Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how insurance works with regards to homebirth care? Will they be required to pay prenatal and delivery expense like with a hospital birth? I have Aetna and live in Washington state if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Totally depends on insurance and state laws. You need to investigate both, but the insurance provider will probably be savvy on the laws too, not the other way around. I had 80% coverage with my student health insurance here in CO, same as I would have had in hospital. But since it was a homebirth I wasn't stuck with all of the ADDITIONAL hospital fees. You have to check into those too. I think for dc1 who was born in hospital we had a good $900 of charges on top of the midwives that came out of our pocket (that was just the portion we were responsible for). You never know if you'll need to go to the hospital, even if you are planning homebirth...<br><br>
Just another comment, I think that in some backwards states homebirth and CPM practice may still be illegal? I don't know about WA. Anyway, if it is, then it couldn't be covered. Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in the backward state of IL where CPM's aren't recognized or covered by insurance. Hopefully this will change soon as the Midwifery Licensure act has passed the state senate and will be voted on in the House. IL unfortunately does not have any laws that prevent insurance from not paying just because it's a home birth. I'm hoping my insurance will pay for my homebirth with my CNM but we will see.<br>
-Kinsey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts