Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a similar condition to Spina Bifida. Therefore, I was given by the orthopedic hospital "Answering Your Questions About Spina Bifida," A Guide from The Spina Bifida Program Department of General Pediatrics . This was produced by the Children's National Medical Center, Washington D.C in 2003. Hopefully, a new edition has better information. From page 15, on Urologic Issues:

Quote:
It is often recommended that boys with spina bifida be circumcised in order to make catheterization easier.
:
:puke

Spina Bifida children have many necessary surgeries. Why on earth should they be subjected to one even mainstream society considers optional? "Ease of catheterization," for whom, exactly? Hmm
: I don't think it would be easier, and I've seen him cath'ed in the NICU and in the ped urologist's office. I seriously doubt that Spina Bifida children in countries outside the US are subjected to this, and, much less, for this reason. These boys may have neurological sexual complications; why risk adding circumcision complications to the mix? As I understand it, even under Jewish law, this would be a reason for exemption of circumcision. Furthermore, why permanently alter his genitalia when the foreskin may retract on its own in as soon as two years? Even if it were true that cath'ing is easier on a circ'ed penis, catering to the lack of skill on the part of some nurses or parents is no reason to circ.

I discussed this with my ped and her nurse and they were both appalled and puzzled. The nurse said that they do cath'ing on intact boys all the time without retraction, and it's not an issue. My Hindu ped was
:
: . Now that I have their support, I'm encouraged to take this on. Anyone with me?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I think you should write a letter! Do you belong to any spina bifida support groups that you could get to join you in a letter-writing campaign?

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I have to tell you, I think that is an excellent idea. A friend had her DS around the same time I had mine, and he was born with spinabifida. He's had multiple surgeries, and especially in the beginning she was so overwhelmed...she didn't know what to think as they were pressuring her so.

She said the cath argument was the one they used...but also they told her he may not have any sexual feeling anyhow, so why not
: . But then...our argument was..."hey, even if he did have impaired sexual functioning, why make it any WORSE?"

It was pretty awful...but we all sent her lots of info and pushed her to find out what they would do in an "intact" nation. And, her DS is 17 months now and is still intact. DOING great last time I heard as well. Neurologically he's on par, and talks, signs, nurses....she has some sort of walker for him as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.