Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt so awful today. Dd threw such an intense screaming fit that she threw up.

Dd's schedule is always disrupted on Saturday when we're all at home. On weekdays, we have a quiet morning and she usually naps at 10:30. If she doesn't nap in the morning, then she snoozes in the van on the way to pick up ds at noon.

Today she tried to nurse to sleep several times, but was too distracted to fall asleep. So at 1:30 she just hit the wall. I took a piece of ds's Halloween candy away from her, and the screaming started. Dh and I tried her usual soothers - walking around the yard, going to say hi to one of the cats, a warm bath.

None of it worked. She had probably been screaming for half an hour when she threw up.

When I told dh about it, he said "Yeah, she has done that to me, too. If she has eaten yogurt right before the screaming starts, she throws it up." I was a little bothered that he hadn't told me about this closer to when it happened.
:

Anyone else's dc do this?

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Not yet, but I can see it coming. He has discovered his will in the last week.

I don't think you should feel awful, there is nothing "good" you can do once they meltdown. Stopping the meltdown is not necessarily the right thing to do. Just be the loving supportive mama you sound like.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I wonder if it's a dairy allergy? If she had stomach pain related to that, that could be why she screams. Maybe you can write down when she has dairy and then write any subsequent differences in her: behavior, rashes, etc.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
ebethmom, no advice here (unfortunately) but just answering your question - "Anyone else's dc do this?" - yes, once, my 29 month old DS was extremely overtired and when trying to put him down for his overdue nap, he just went berserk with a horrid tantrum and screamed so much, he threw up. He doesn't consume dairy since it bothers him so I know it was not the dairy. I was really upset but it was done so we just moved on. I won't be surprised if DS does this again - he really gets emotional and screams when tired (since day he was born) so I can see him getting this upset again. I really find it stressful and upsetting though. I just try to comfort him through the tantrum and just try, try, try, any comforting solution .... No help here but you're not alone!

·
Registered
171 Posts
OH boy i so know what this is like. My youngest did this for the longest time. It was horrible. I finally was telling her afterwards while she was mad & saying how gross & i need to clean her etc...." if you din't do that then you wouldn't be all dirty etc etc..." she actually got the idea & stopped. But it took awhile to get it threw her head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.