Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious here...when did your kiddo become interested in playground equipment?

The local primary school has a tot playground (for pre-K I presume) with a ton of the Little Tikes and Step 2 stuff, it looks like so much fun! We took our 17-month old daughter there last weekend. She spent like 5 minutes on the stuff and then went exploring. She had more fun looking at all the school buses lined up and looking for small rocks. Which is, of course, totally cool too.

The reason I'm asking is that we are looking into getting a swing/play set for her but I wonder if her greater interest in exploring is an age thing or a personality thing?

Thanks!
Kim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kim,
my 16.5 month old is like that too -- doesn't really get into the equipment, would much rather play with the stuff on the ground, point at the playground sign, etc. (general exploring).....she will let me swing her in the swings for maybe a couple of minutes, but then we're back to exploring.

You're not alone!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I've been pondering the same thing, trying to decide whether to get a playset this yr or next yr. We finally took our 16 mo old to a playground with a HUGE playset and swings last wk. He was more interested in just looking around and pointing at things. We did take him down the slide and push him on the swing, but he's still more into the exploration phase right now. Soooo... I think what we will do is at the end of summer, I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a playset on clearance and hoping to get a good deal. By next summer, my toddler will be past 2 yrs old and my new baby will probably be old enough to enjoy the swing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My first son has never been too into playground equipment. He's 4 year old and he loves going to the park, but he's still not a crazy monkey boy. He would much rather play pretend games, play in the sand, collect pine cones, etc. I can't say he doesn't like playgrounds, but he certainly isn't all over them like other kids I see.

My second son started scaling 'big toys' since he was less than a year old. He started walking at 9 months and there was no stopping him after that. It's amazing how diferent kids can be.

I think it is definitely a personality thing, but I don't think you can go wrong buying a playset either.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My 16 mo old hates swings for some reason. She mostly plays with the wood chips on the ground. She likes the sandbox too. She likes climbing but most of the playground stuff is for bigger kids, or there is bigger kids on it who I am afraid will knock her over. I will probably wait until next summer to invest in anything for home.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well DD has always liked the swings. She started walking at Thanksgiving time (15 months old) but couldn't really climb the play structure or anything. Then it was winter and snow-covered. So she's been playing on it since about Feb/March at 17 months.

·
Registered
962 Posts
T has expanded his interest in playground eq this year, but even last year (when he was about your child's age) he LOVED the slides - he's go up and down them without even an ounce of hesitation.
This year, he loves the swings, the slides, the climbing eq, the seesaws, the bouncers - everything.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Last spring and summer, before DS was even walking confidently, he was climbing ladders and going down slides at the park. This year I can't keep him on the toddler side, he wants the big slides! We (well, his grandparents) got him a beautiful big outdoor wooden playset, and we have used it almost every day since.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dd was using playground equipment at around 9-10 months. She'd crawl up the steps and go face first down the slide.

Our park often has young toddlers playing on the equipment (with and without help from mom or dad).

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
My DS (20 months) does like the playground equipment- but he scares the crud out of me with it. The only playground around is aimed more towards older kids (big play structures without sides/rails on them.... about a 5 foot fall). He knows no limits and just walks off the thing. I can't allow him to play on it alone or else he'll run off the side before I can catch him. So we don't go there often, maybe when he's older and he's not such a dare devil we will. (He is the same way with stairs- he walks up stairs good but doesn't understand he has to walk down the steps, he just walks right off the top step without even watching- he'll tumble down everytime if I wasn't there holding onto him).

If you're not sure she'll be too interested in it this year you could always do what mags is doing- wait until the end of the season and get one on clearance for next year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts