Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went on our hospital tour last night, it scares me how medical it was but.. I think i can make it work for us. Also in the event of needing a repeat c-section, their policy is worth everything as they don't seperate you from your newborn. Now here is the delimma, apparently I can have my 3 year old son with me for the birth which is an option i never thought I would have with a hospital birth. Back when we had planned a homebirth I had always intended to have my Son there for the birth so at first i was like, this is great but then I thought that maybe it woulldn't be such a good idea since at home he has lots of stuff to play with and it is HIS environment. I'm afraid the hospital setting might be too much for him and it might not be a good idea for me since i will be too busy to really be there for him but at the same time reassured since he's right there not 2 hours away from me. So my question is what would all of you think of this option, would you bring him or leave him at home with his Pop-pop (keep in mind he's three)?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckula View Post
We went on our hospital tour last night, it scares me how medical it was but.. I think i can make it work for us. Also in the event of needing a repeat c-section, their policy is worth everything as they don't seperate you from your newborn. Now here is the delimma, apparently I can have my 3 year old son with me for the birth which is an option i never thought I would have with a hospital birth. Back when we had planned a homebirth I had always intended to have my Son there for the birth so at first i was like, this is great but then I thought that maybe it woulldn't be such a good idea since at home he has lots of stuff to play with and it is HIS environment. I'm afraid the hospital setting might be too much for him and it might not be a good idea for me since i will be too busy to really be there for him but at the same time reassured since he's right there not 2 hours away from me. So my question is what would all of you think of this option, would you bring him or leave him at home with his Pop-pop (keep in mind he's three)?
So long as you have someone to be there and focus on him and be able to take him to the waiting room or the cafeteria if he needs to leave, then by all means bring him. If you don't have someone that can be there just for him, it would be better to leave him with someone else and come to visit after the new baby is born.

Anna

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally have someone who can watch him if he needs to escape, my Mom. I'm going to ask her what she thinks tonight.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My son is also three... I think at that age, being in an unfamiliar environment for a long time might be too much (Dylan barely made it through an ultrasound appointment!). Maybe compromise and have him come in with your mom when you are getting there and getting settled, and return later after baby has been born.

I think that Dylan would freak out if he saw me in an overly medical environment, or in pain... or he would want to climb into the birth tub and play. He's hanging out with grandma while I labor with my sis and husband.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
My son is also three... I think at that age, being in an unfamiliar environment for a long time might be too much (Dylan barely made it through an ultrasound appointment!). Maybe compromise and have him come in with your mom when you are getting there and getting settled, and return later after baby has been born.
This was my after thought as well, the problem is that i really want my Mom to be there for the birth so i think I might keep him home. Its just the thought that we could be together as a family so soon after the birth is downright delicious and a man selling point of homebirth for us. I t just sucks that i can't have one. Though the hospital tour made me rethink UC a whole bunch.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I know, I'm really hoping that we will be in the hospital long enough (sounds weird, I know!) for my mom to bring Dylan over to be with us for a little bit after the birth. I just don't think I could cope with having him there for the whole thing...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.