Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post about this since my last visit. I got my hospital records, and gave them to my mw. When I went into the hospital with ruptured membranes, my B/P was 160/100, as compared to 110/60 or so for my pgcy. They took a urine sample, and found +2 proteins. The actual diagnosis was mild PIH. So, I got the mag sulfate, laid on my left side, needless to say didn't have any contractions, so I had pit. After 18 hours of that, and little ability to use comfort measures, I got an epidural. I was obviously thrilled with DS, but disappointed with the birth.

My new MW said that the +2 urine sample was invalid!!! Since my membranes had ruptured (and were spurting...) the catch was bad, since there would be protein in the fluid. She'd only trust a cathater sample once there were ruptured membranes! She also thought that my BP was high - but that without a clean catch, with no edema, headaches, etc. and without even a few minutes of observation, she can't really say that it was PIH at all.

This makes me feel sad about my first birth, but gives me tons of hope - as a second-time mom, chances of reoccurrence are low anyway - and maybe I didn't have it to begin with!

·
Registered
614 Posts
That is hopeful! Some of the stuff they do at hospitals is so psycho crazy. I know I still have some healing to do from my DD's birth which ended in cesarean, so I'm with you there. Sometimes the sadness comes up when we talk about her birth and how it happened . . .which is a lot these days with this baby on the way. At least she loves to hear what happened.

·
Registered
457 Posts
without getting you all riled up, may i just be ticked off on your behalf? it makes me crazy when i hear about unecessary birth interventions like this. thank GOD you didn't end up with a CS and even better, sooo glad you have a new MW. she sounds more hands-off, so get ready for a much better experience this time. and if you ever want to consider homebirth, there's probably a few of us who might have a thing or two to say about that!
:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meg, I know. I think that I'm feeling upset about it again now. I had come to peace with what had happened, thinking that I was one of the few for who interventions were necessary, the nice nurse said that if I could've been up and moving around I absolutely could've done it naturally, etc., etc. Now I wonder if it all really needed to get started in the first place, KWIM? I do really like my MW, she does mainly homebirths but a few hospital births (has privileges at an area hospital).

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
It really is a wild bit of information (no wild toddler on me now...I can type!). On one hand it means SUCH great things for your next birth, Kristen, but it means a lot of crap happened to you during Aaron's birth.

Now, are you opposed to having a homebirth? How does her care differ in the hospital vs. at home? Doesshe have to abide by more regulations when catching in the hospital?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts