Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post about this since my last visit. I got my hospital records, and gave them to my mw. When I went into the hospital with ruptured membranes, my B/P was 160/100, as compared to 110/60 or so for my pgcy. They took a urine sample, and found +2 proteins. The actual diagnosis was mild PIH. So, I got the mag sulfate, laid on my left side, needless to say didn't have any contractions, so I had pit. After 18 hours of that, and little ability to use comfort measures, I got an epidural. I was obviously thrilled with DS, but disappointed with the birth.

My new MW said that the +2 urine sample was invalid!!! Since my membranes had ruptured (and were spurting...) the catch was bad, since there would be protein in the fluid. She'd only trust a cathater sample once there were ruptured membranes! She also thought that my BP was high - but that without a clean catch, with no edema, headaches, etc. and without even a few minutes of observation, she can't really say that it was PIH at all.

This makes me feel sad about my first birth, but gives me tons of hope - as a second-time mom, chances of reoccurrence are low anyway - and maybe I didn't have it to begin with!

· Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meg, I know. I think that I'm feeling upset about it again now. I had come to peace with what had happened, thinking that I was one of the few for who interventions were necessary, the nice nurse said that if I could've been up and moving around I absolutely could've done it naturally, etc., etc. Now I wonder if it all really needed to get started in the first place, KWIM? I do really like my MW, she does mainly homebirths but a few hospital births (has privileges at an area hospital).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.