Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...The bulk of babies born to unwed mothers may be unplanned, but that doesn't take into account lesbian couples or women who've decided to go it alone. For many of them, the decision is the result of years of thought and emotional soul-searching.

When California Cryobank, which claims to be the world's largest sperm bank, opened its doors in the late 1970s, 99 percent of its business catered to couples grappling with male infertility, spokesman Scott Brown said. Now, that market in the sperm donor world accounts for less than 14 percent, according to projections by Charles Sims, the organization's co-founder and medical director.

About 50,000 women delivering babies each year are single moms by choice, said Mikki Morrissette, author of "Choosing Single Motherhood: The Thinking Woman's Guide," and founder of the online resource Choice Moms.

Many of these mothers choose to tap known or anonymous sperm donors as the biological clock begins to pound. Perhaps they are like Morrissette, who divorced in her early 30s, wasn't in a hurry to jump into another relationship and decided to have kids on her own...

g

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Of the 16 (or is it 17 now?
donor sibling families we've connected with, NONE are two-parent, heterosexual families. Only three are single moms by choice. The rest are two-mom families.

I was really surprised by this, but according to that report, it sounds like our experience is more the norm than not (I also wonder if perhaps the two-parent heterosexual families would be less likely to seek out donor siblings, for whatever reason).

Lex

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Same here. We've been in touch with 5 other families (total of 9 kids, 4 ours) with the same donor and they are all two mom families and one single mom.

Isn't the US rate of of out-of-wedlock births over 60% at this point?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
my dd's donor family is made up entirely of smc's and lesbians as well....although we do know of one other kid in a hetero family but he has not been told he is dc. I wonder if most hetero families are keeping a secret about dc kids still.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
We've had pretty similar experiences here, there is one mom/dad couple, but mostly lesbian families. Technology has advanced quite a bit these days, there is a lot that they can do with very few sperm. I assume there are many more couples pursuing that avenue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.