Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with internal family systems therapy? As I mentioned in my thread below I have to find a new therapist. I found one and she seems really nice and I really connected with her over the phone. She mainly works within the internal family systems model and I don't know much about that. I am particularly interested to know if this is a good therapy for anxiety.I have done a lot of CBT and that was very helpful but I really feel like I need to work on what's below the surface and dig deeper in order to shed some light on what's going on. I was hoping someone had experience with this kind of therapy or if not I would love to hear which therapies beside CBT you found helpful for dealing with anxiety . Thank you so much for listening.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Tons of research has been done in order to shred light on what it is that makes therapy effective. The number one factor is the relationship between the client and the therapist. If you feel like you connected with her then give it a try. Have you tried to google the name or asked your therapist for info/links?

Good luck!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I did meet my new therapist and I really like her so far. I agree that the relationship between client and therapist is the most important thing. She also works really close to me so getting over to see her is not hard. My former doctor was awesome but she was almost two hours away ( I have to take a ferry to get to her) and she charges $175/hr. That just became too hard to sustain long term. I did find some info regarding internal family systems therapy and I thought I would include a link to a website so that those who are interested can go to learn more about this.. Thanks for the support!

http://www.selfleadership.org/ifsmodel.asp

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. This is a branch of systems therapy that I haven't heard of before. I looked at the link you posted and it sounds really good. I think it is very good for dealing with anxiety. I really do understand your need to dig further. CBT is a great start but not enough to overcome these things completely. I think internal family systems therapy is very well suited for that.

Good luck to you. And keep us updated if you feel like it. I'd love to know what you think about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.