Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 7 mo dd to Germany in July (13+ hr airplane trip from SF). What advice do you have for travelling that far? Until now, the longest trip was 2 hrs in a car!<br>
Should we take our pack'n play? She sleeps in it now, and only co-naps every once in a while :)<br>
Should I bf during take-off and landing, even against airline regulations?<br>
Are stewardesses generally helpful?<br>
What if she freaks out? She has a VERY loud cry. Should we take earplugs and hand them out to unsuspecting fellow travellers?

·
Registered
702 Posts
travel with as little as possible so you don't have to deal with it; ignore the other travellers you paid the same for your seat (or more), ask for the bulkhead and nurse your baby when she needs it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
we travel a lot with our son, he's 5 months so for once I feel like I can offer some advice!<br><br>
*try to book your flight during the night because you'll find it's easier on you and them (she will still sleep).<br>
*take only 2 or 3 toys and just rotate them, also pick a favorite book to read it tends to be soothing.<br>
*the flight attendants are usually great, if you're flying solo they'll even offer to hold them while you eat if you want (my tip eat before you fly).<br>
*Take lots of nappies, for some reason the cabin pressure seems to make them poop alot and be prepared for lots of farts too! :LOL<br>
*It's more important to feed during the landing as the pressure changes most then. Take off is pretty easy - if she wants to feed feed her.<br>
*When they invite you to board first do it, it's much easier to get baby settled without a million and one people trying to push past.<br>
*And just relax, people are a lot more accomodating for a baby than you think.<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
Enjoy your trip, what a wonderful time of the year to be in Europe!!!<br>
Dan

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
We are doing the same thing, not quite as long a flight though. Flying from Philly to Cologne and then driving with the in-laws to their vacation spot in Italy.<br><br>
We are flying through London because they had better connection times. The flights that go through Frankfurt had really early departures to connect in Frankfurt for overseas flights so we would have had to be on a 6:35AM flight from Italy if we were going to fly directly. We also have a 7pm flight over so thats ds's bedtime. We are hoping that will help.<br><br>
Our in-laws are going to borrow a car-seat for us so we don't have to carry that.<br><br>
My friend just flew domestically and she said you can take your stroller up to the gate and check it there. It will be waiting for you when you de-plane instead of checking it and waiting for it with the rest of the bags.<br><br>
I hope to be on cow's milk by our trip because we are FFing now but If I were you I would sling and bf during take off and landing. DS will be celebrating his first birthday during the trip but 7 mos is a whole different story! Some people might not even notice you are doing it!<br><br>
We decided we are definitely going to use Rescue Remedy. Just to chill him out. The pediatrician recommended feeding during take off and landing and if you have problems to use baby benadryl on the way home. I really don't want to do the benadryl route because it can always have the opposite effect like most drugs and make him hyper instead of sleepy. He doesn't need it for what that which it was intended so I'm going to go with the natural remedy that is for calming him down.<br><br>
Overseas flights have free alcohol and most people are going to be on vacation so I wouldn't worry too much about pissing people off. European's have a different view of children which I find is tolerant and finding the joy and humor of the situation. Children seem to be much more welcome just about everywhere.<br><br>
Hope you have a great trip!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the great advice!<br>
I like the idea of borrowing a car seat from someone in Germany, I'll pursue that route for sure.<br>
We're also flying via London to Frankfurt on an evening flight, but coming back is a 7am departure. Oh well...it was the cheaper flight pattern by far.<br>
Thanks, Dan, for reminding me to take lotsa nappies :)<br><br>
I'll also get rescue remedy...who's the maker??<br>
Thanks!!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Rescue Remedy is a Bach Flower Essence. You can get it in a health food store. There are several other threads about it if you do a search on MDC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts