Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While dating dh we always would dream on how we would be "That type of parent" well to our shock we have become nothingo f what we wanted to be. We both agree that something has got to be done and a huge ovehaul is in order. We both agree that we got off on the wrong foot in parenting and need help. When doing searches for parenting classes locally, alls I can find is for new parents of newborns. These would offer us nothing we dont already know hot to do, like bathe,swaddle,feed etc. I have hit the internet for ideas to apply in our situation, but everything has come to fail. I have watched Nanny 911 and to be honest my kids are just like the ones I see on tv. My kids are trying to take over the house and I am struggling on how to handle these situations without the end reult being negetive. I was raised in a inviroment that I just dont want my kids to have, and when I look at things I can see we are headed down that path. Would any of you have suggestions on some must have reading, or ways that are very effective with altering the behavior, but not altering the child ???

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I would suggestion posting in Finding Your Tribe to look for classes in your local area. There is also a sticky in this forum that has a lot of books to do with gentle disapline. My DS is still a bit young so I haven't been in your shoes, it must be so hard! Also, Nanny 911 probably isn't the best show to get advice from but it sounds like you have already realized that. Some of the suggestions are ok (like getting rid of all the junk food, or having a daily routen) but a lot of it isn't done in a gentle way and some of the stuff is just down right wrong. But if you browse around here a bit and keep posting any specific incidents you can think of, people will give you some great advise. So many mommas have been where you are. You are not alone.

And your situation can improve, it may be more difficult since you didn't start right away, but you can definitly do it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I haven't checked out the sticky but I can tell you I just finished Becoming The Parent You Want to Be - and while it's targeted to parents of children under 5, I found it a great guide for GD. I found it in my local library but it is the sort of reference book that would be well worth the $20 to keep on your bookshelf and re-read now and then.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'll recommend the book "Kids are Worth It" by Barbara Coloroso. I just got done reading it and was extremely impressed with it, it goes into alot of detail about specific situations and how to deal with them. Get the revised edition if you can find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts