Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I'm due at the end of October and was just presented with an opportunity to hire a doula affordably. Tomorrow we're doing an interview and I am just curious as to what to ask. I'm having a vbac and want an epidural so I don't know if that matters at all, or if someone who knows they want an epidural should even bother hiring a doula? I'd definitely like the support though, and she's very new and inexperienced. (Actually she's just completing her training hence the affordability.) TIA!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
regardless of what your birth of choice is, you should definitely hire a doula if you can find one that you click with. It will increase your chance of having a positive birth and getting the kind of birth you are looking for.

I would be up front about what you want out of your birth when you talk to them, and make sure to mention the epidural in case they have a personal conflict with that. (probably not but I would mention it just in case) Ask how many births they've attended, what their birth philosophy is, if they've worked at the hospital you're gearing up to use, etc etc.

Just having an extra set of hands, eyes, ears, and another pro-birth voice is a great asset, IMO. Its one less thing for you to worry about, and since they are used to being around birth, it may make it easier for you having them there if for some reason your DH needs to step away for a moment.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Usually, to my knowledge, a doula is there to support you in any way you need it while in labor and delivery. A lot of people hire them to speak for them and stand up for them so their birth plan is followed and usually that involves things like no epi etc... It's also nice to have one around so your partner can take a break when needed. Just because you plan on an epidural doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have extra, experienced support. But, if you are going to have the epidural it may greatly diminish your options during labor and you will be stuck on your back with monitors and stuff so it may not be worth it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Hi there, I'd recommend a doula no matter what -- you'll be happy for the extra hands and heart!

The most important thing is to find someone you *click* with. For my last birth, I hired someone who was very well-known and very experienced and very expensive -- but we didn't mesh well. In retrospect I wish I had gone with my gut and kept looking.

For my first birth, I had someone who was not a certified doula, but just a woman who loved birth and had attended like 2 births. She'd had a c-s and then 2 HBACs. She was AMAZING and incredibly helpful.

This person is going to see you puking, naked, peeing, pooping, etc -- you must be comfortable with her!

Also, I get hired by clients who are on the fence about epidurals. They think they might want one. However for the last 12 months not a single client has gotten medication during labor. It's gone too fast, or they've decided against it during labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.