Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you baby ever vomits bright yellow or dark green, it could be an intestinal obstruction! My own daughter Rosie had an intestinal obstruction when she was 7 days old and it was surgically corrected when she was 8 days old. She was one of the lucky ones, the problem was caught in time and she is healthy today.

This happens in 1 in 500 live births, so I wish there were some way to spread the word. Darshani helped me with my signature line (catchy, isn't it?) I wish everyone in the world knew about this... it is one of those things that is easily corrected if caught early, but can have tragic consequences if missed. Many doctors miss the obvious signs. In fact, I can say most doctors miss the signs at first.

So just remember, in case you ever hear of this happening to someone you know: especially with newborns, but this can occur at any age.

Go straight to the nearest children's hospital ER and insist on the baby being examined by the attending physician (student doctors or residents are not enough). Insist on an upper GI or a darned good explanation of why your baby does not need one. Do not let anyone dissuade you. If they try to say it is not necessary, insist on speaking with the medical director or a pediatric gastroenterologist. You may have to be pushy and difficult, but it's worth it.

I'm hoping it is something else, but in the event it is an intestinal obstruction, it can be corrected very quickly and the longterm prognosis is excellent. If there is delay or misdiagnosis, the results can be fatal or otherwise tragic.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great question. It is a birth defect. It is not chromosomal, so it is not related to the mother's age, it is equally likely to occur at any age. At this point, they do not know the cause.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts