Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited to find this community over the weekend. This is just the type of support I have been seeking.

I am PG with #3. I have had two prior C-sections and a m/c. I am trying to decide between a home birth and hospital birth and have found limited resources in my area for home births.

My first section was due to FTP. I was induced at 41w5d, because my amniotic fluid was very low and I developed pre-eclampsia. My labor was awful. I had just about every intervention imaginable. I was pulled into the OR once for a stat section, which was prevented when a senior doc came in the OR and had me roll to my side. Unfortunately, I returned to the OR 12 hours later. My cervix had started to close, my water had been broken for over 28 hours, etc. On the bright side, I was awake for the delivery and got to see and hear my son. And, hear them announce it was a boy. My recovery was very quick and the scar was minimal.

For my second labor, I attempted a VBAC. I was induced at 42 weeks with a Foley catheter. Everything was going smoothly. I was unmediated and while the back labor was painful, I seemed to be staying on top of everything. I did have an internal fetal monitor though, which is what prompted my stat section. My midwife was fantastic, but my DD was having late dcells. The resident came in to check. She had no idea I was a VBAC. As soon as she learned that detail, I was rushed to the OR for a stat section. No one explained what was happening or why. I was put under and didn't know I had a daughter until hours later. I felt violated. The recovery took much longer the second time around and the scar continued to stay numb for more than a year. I still have some issues. My daughter was born three and a half years ago.

This past spring, I m/c twins at 11 weeks. It was devastating, but at the same time empowering, because I did it at home without anyone but my husband to support me.

I am now 23weeks PG. This little bundle is due mid March. I really would like to have a home birth, but I live an hour from the hospital. It scares me to be so far from if anything goes awry, but in my heart, I know I can do this in my own home. I will be more relaxed. I won't have the stress of someone looking over my shoulder the entire time to see if I am sticking to a predetermined timetable. My husband supports the concept in theory, but would prefer to be closer to the hospital.

Thanks for listening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
Just wanted to say hi, I was a mama like you a little over 2 years ago, trying to decide after 2 c-sections. We don't live an hour from the hosp. but nevertheless I would have chosen home even so. It took a lot of soul searching and connecting with my body and baby to get to that point, and research too. Do you have supportive mw's in your area? Your chances of having a vbac after 2 c-secs in a hospital is slim and would be an uphill battle, don't know about you but I didn't feel like wearing my military garb when I was in labor and doing the hardest work of my life! I know people who have rented small places the last month of their preg. to be closer to the hosp or their mw's, heck I have heard of people who crossed the line to birth their babe in peace. Have you hooked up with ICAN yet? Information truly is the cure to fear. Sounds like your on the right path....thinking, asking, searching.
Peace,
Carrie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,101 Posts
Definatly hook up with ICAN!
Your odds are alot better at HOME, there's just no way around that.
Though good luck to you, whatever you choose!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
Another vote for ICAN here, the women on the email list are an amazing resource of both support and information.

After reading up on interventions and their risks, and the risks involved in birth itself, and hearing hundreds of stories about the fight against hospital policy so many women go through, I am sure I am not up to the task of resisting authoritative pressure and scare tactics during labor. I can't imagine staying in laborland and letting my body and hormones do their job when I have to fight about getting care based on policy rather than my actual needs. I wish I were one of those women who, during labor, could tell off the nurses that want to strap them down and who can send away the persuasive anesthesiologist. But I'm not. So I'm planning on staying home. I'm about 35 min from a hospital and yeah, I'd feel better if it were 5 min... even though I know that in the hospital it takes time to get to an OR too... one thing to consider, there is the option of air ambulance. Many insurance plans cover it & it could cut the travel time in an emergency by half or more.

That said, a drastic UR emergency is really no more likely than a drastic birth emergency of some other sort. Statistically, a woman is about as likely to have a cord prolapse as a UR but we don't base our decisions on fear of cord prolapse... and doctors don't go around freaking us out telling us we should just schedule a c/s due to risk of cord prolapse... we recognize the possibility and respect that it is there but we don't make our birth plan revolve around it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried hooking up with ICAN before I lost my previous PG in March. Unfortunately, I never got a response to my email. I should try again; I just don't want to be disappointed again.

Nurnur/Velcromom, I am with you. I do not want to have to put up a fight while I am laboring. And, I don't want my husband to have to leave me to fight for what I want. He is completely behind me and willing to go with whatever I decide. I think a lot of the stories I have shared from this board have helped him understand more fully what I want and why.

I have emailed two midwives in my area and hopefully will hear back this week. I am hoping they can direct me to a doula, also. I have found one, but I am just beyond her normal coverage area. Ugh!

Unfortunately, I have an appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine this week. At this point, I am seeing a hospital-based, midwife group. In order for them to attend a VBA2C, MFM needs to review (scare the hell out of) the risks (no mention of benefits) with a VBA2C moms. I am not looking forward to the visit and just want to get it over with.

I am also picking up my medical records this week. That ought to be some interesting reading. I'll keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
Good luck with your visit! You might want to head over to Kmom's site where she has compiled pretty much every study that's out there about vba2c. That way when you go in to the meeting, when you hear BS you will know it.

It would be kind of funny to ask them, "So when's the risk meeting for cord prolapse and placental abruption?" and when they go, "We don't do that" you could be all surprised, "But my goodness, the risk of those is similar to the risk of UR!!! Aren't you concerned about that???" LOL just a fantasy, I'd probably never be able to say that to their face.


The only study that might not be on that page is the recent study that showed vbamc carries only slightly more risk than vba1c, not enough to recommend an automatic c/s. I know that one was also posted here, I'll see if I can find it.

oh, if you don't connect with an ICAN group near you or just don't have one close enough, join their yahoo group. [email protected] is the address. You can talk to vba2c women all over the country and they may know current info for the chapter in your area as well.

Good luck with your search!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_r...fm?DR_ID=38234
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/540538
http://www.ican-online.org/resources..._vbac-fact.pdf
http://www.health.am/gyneco/more/aft...ple-cesareans/
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/C...uccess%20Rates

These are just a few of the websites letting you know that vbamc is the exact same teeny tiny risk factor as vba1c. You have no reason to worry on that account. I am seeking a hba1c in feb. 07 and would not hesitate to do it after two, because what I have seen says not only am I most likely to have a successful vbac at home, but I'm also more likely to have a shoter labor, a better time doing it, and fewer confrontations and dangerous medical interventions (ie
itocin) short of sugery. Go for the homebirth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts
I did a hba2c -- I was not going to set myself up for failure by allowing myself to be EFMed 100% of the time, strapped to the bed b/c it would move the EFM off the hb, IVs with tons of fluid, etc.

At the time VA was not hb mw friendly (still isn't really, but we have a law now). I found my lay mw through connections with La Leche League leaders e-mails!

I was around 33wks when I switched to a mw. And it was the best decision for me and my baby.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top