Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after lurking here for months and months, I am finally posting.

I am currently 34w pregnant with my first child, and have been seeing a midwife throughout the pregnancy. As a woman, she is great - friendly, warm, down-to-earth - but as a care provider, I can't stand her! She doesn't fully listen to what I have to say, and is quick to jump in with her long list of facts and studies and this that and the next thing. She can be very condescending, and her attitude is that of, "I'm the expert here, let me take care of everything"... My husband sits silently through each pre-natal appointment because he says she makes him feel like an idiot when he asks questions or brings up his concerns.

So, the long and short of it is, we have decided that we are not calling the midwife when I go into labour. If she irks me so much in my appointments, I cannot imagine having her around when I'm moaning and groaning and pushing my baby out! I had wanted to go unassisted from the beginning, but DH was very nervous about it (this being our first time and all). After a lot of reading and late-night conversations, we are now sure this is what we want to do.

We have been staying with my parents for the past four weeks, waiting to close on the house we purchased, and will finally be moving in on Friday. As you can imagine, I'm very relieved to have somewhere to birth this baby!

Anyway, there's my introduction. I've really enjoyed reading these threads!

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Hi Lindsay!

Welcom to MDC!

Just think, your experience with your condesending MW has opened the door for your DH to accept UC. So it is a blessing in desguise!

Congratulation.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
congrats and welcome, Lindsay!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Congrats on your pregnancy. imo there is no room for control freaks around you in labour. I had intended to have a home-birth with my first but got dragged off when I didn't give birth in their time limit. Nobody was supportive of anything I wanted so it's no surprise. I birthed my 2nd and 3rd children by myself, no people to hinder me and it was so much better, I knew I could do it as I have faith in the whole process unlike those around me including my then partner,so all the best to you and very much wish you the birth you would like, imo it's others that stop us from doing it

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Welcome Lindsay! Congrats on both your decision to UC and your new house! What a great way to break in a new home!
Looking very foward to getting to know you!

Laura

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Welcome! love your screen name by the way

Congrats on your decision to UC, and yes, take the good and leave the bad!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome Lindsay!!!! It looks like we're due around the same time and DH and I are expecting our first!!!! Glad that you joined it
Enjoy these last few weeks...we're getting close

1 - 10 of 10 Posts