Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm on this board a lot, but not this forum.<br><br>
My Thanksgiving travels garnered me a new kitten. My brother and his partner got him from the humane society a few months ago (where he was hours away from being put to sleep) but don't have time to give him the care he needs. Left in my brother's hands, this sweet little thing would have gotten declawed. In a house with two dogs.<br><br>
Anyway, here he is-five or six months old, humane society vaccinations, and unneutered. I'll take care of that in the next month or so.<br><br>
My two current kitties are a brother sister pair, both sterilized at an early age, adopted from a no kill shelter, and now about four and half years old. The female is the alpha kitty.<br><br>
As I sort of expected, both of my current cats are hissing at him. (It's been less than 24 hours). I live on a second and third floor, so for the time being I'm keeping them separate-the new kitten on one floor and my other two on the other, then switching them to get to know each other's scent.<br><br>
So what to do? I naturally find the hissing alarming but if it's normal and I need to let it happen then I will. I just don't want to have to separate a cat fight! Not to mention that my alpha girl kitty is about three or four times the size of my new one. I do feel a little bad for him; he just wants someone to play with. And my girl kitty hisses but seems afraid-she hisses and runs.<br><br>
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!<br><br>
ALso-I'm really not anticipating this-but how long do I give this before I just say it won't work and try to find a new home for him?<br><br>
Jennifer

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Keep them separated for as long as they seem to need it. I possible, feed them on opposite sides of a door - food is a great ice breaker/motivator for cats. Let the older cats smell something the kitten has been sleeping on.<br><br>
Take it slowly, it can take a month or more to properly introduce cats. And even then, they may not all get along.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts