Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old who is very interested in everything i put into my mouth. She smacks her lips and gets very excited. Just wondering when other mama's started and what you chose to give as first foods.
I was thinking of butternut squash, yummy!

thanks,
marcy

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I stand by as a rule, no solids until all of the below:

at least 6 months
sitting unassisted
pincher grasp
no tongue thrust
able to bring food to mouth and eat

THEN I would allow the child to self-feed. Humans are not designed to be spoon fed more than a taste here and there.

Good starting foods:
avacado
banana
sweet potato
squash

-Angela

·
Registered
249 Posts
My ds is also 4 months old and doing the same thing!
I have decided to wait until he is atleast 6 months old to give him any foods... just to make sure his little tummy can digest that stuff.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My 5 month old is doing this too. I just let him taste stuff that I'm eating....fruits and vegetables only of course. I don't let him taste any citrus, but so far he's really liked sucking on a carrot and apple. I hold it for him so there's no danger of swallowing it. If you're little one is curious, maybe you can just give some tastes!!

Wendi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our dd was *super* interested in food starting before 4 months. I tried to wait but by 4.5 months I started giving her tastes here-and-there of stuff I was eating that were baby-ready (e.g. squishy little pieces of banana, squash, mashed potato, soup.) She LOVED it. And she had no digestive issues. I did a lot of research on the debate over waiting until 6 months and honestly, for a baby with no family history of allergies/asthma/eczema I am not convinced there is any evidence that starting solids after 4 months is likely to be bad. And I feel that following baby's cues and encouraging early forms of communication is good parenting--and dd was clearly telling me "I want some, too, mommy!"

Of course if you or dh has food-related allergies or asthma or eczema (which are apparently all connected genetically), you will want to be more conservative and possibly even wait until 7 months.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What's the deal with citrus? My midwife said no strawberries (because of the tiny seeds) no honey, and no oranges for a year... Can't remember why no oranges though!

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Yeah, it's best to hold of on solids till at least 6 months, but let the child lead the way. often kids at this age are really interested in foods, but not to eat, just as a new experience, something to play with and taste and explore, and of course, to imitate mama!
I wouldn't "feed" them until a year, but let them have a try of whatever they like if they show an interest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not only the allergies, but citrus is really hard on the stomach, and it's thought that before 9 mos - 1 year that it's just too much for tiny tummies. Same with tomatoes. I find that even at 14 months I have to be careful that dd not eat too much citrus at once or she will have a scary diaper. Mandarin oranges seem to be the worst for some reason.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 555Baby
Our dd was *super* interested in food starting before 4 months. I tried to wait but by 4.5 months I started giving her tastes here-and-there of stuff I was eating that were baby-ready (e.g. squishy little pieces of banana, squash, mashed potato, soup.) She LOVED it. And she had no digestive issues. I did a lot of research on the debate over waiting until 6 months and honestly, for a baby with no family history of allergies/asthma/eczema I am not convinced there is any evidence that starting solids after 4 months is likely to be bad. And I feel that following baby's cues and encouraging early forms of communication is good parenting--and dd was clearly telling me "I want some, too, mommy!"

Of course if you or dh has food-related allergies or asthma or eczema (which are apparently all connected genetically), you will want to be more conservative and possibly even wait until 7 months.
:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts