Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom of 5 here. My oldest quit nursing at 6 weeks, my next son never latched properly so I pumped for him, then we adopted one when I wasn't lactating, so he was ff, and the newest one at 4 months old is EXCLUSIVELY BREASTFED! I can't believe it! After all the trials and tribulations, we finally got it together! I am almost too scared to say it outloud that I may jinx something!

I put alot of it on the fact that he was the only birth that wasn't induced. I think that made a world of difference. It is so fun to nurse him. When he goes to latch, I say "dive, dive, dive!" cause he looks like a little sub headed down in the water, (later coming up for air! :LOL). Sometimes he sputters a bit while nursing, I think he may be getting more than he can swallow???

Anyway, he gets frozen bm when I am at work that daddy gives him. My frozen supply is running a little low, though, as he drinks about 4-5 of them a day, and I can make about 4 a day. (tough keeping up sometimes!) I nurse him all night long and I am off 3 days a week where we nurse as needed.

Should I cut myself some slack if I need to start ff for supplement since we have made it so far? If any of you started to supplement with an infant, when did you start?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
my dd was 8 mo when i went back to work. i pumped 2X/day. she drank the milk the next day (when she woke up and at lunch time). i figured she'd make up for any nutritional needs when i got home, during the night and on weekends. she was a big baby, kept gaining weight. maybe just keep pumping 4 X/day, and that's enough, he'll make up what he needs when you're home. if you feel it's not enough for him, i do know of people who supplement 1 formula bottle/day. (however, i read somewhere that when you give formula the baby will not get the full benefits of the breastmilk.) however, if you have no choice, then i suppose it'd be OK. maybe someone else has suggestions. good luck!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Congratulations on working and ebf this long! It can be really hard, I know! I agree that your baby will make up at night and the days you are home. I really think that since you are nursing through the night that your baby is getting enough milk. I think the best indicator of whether your baby is getting enough is your own observations... is he active, alert, gaining weight, happy? Trust your instincts! I definitely think it's worth it to try to continue ebf. Every study shows that ebf for six months is better than four months, and many more studies indicate the longer a baby is ebf in general, the better. A little extra work now may help him stay allergy free, reduce his chance of cancer, asthma, etc.

Is it at all possible to visit him once while you're working? Could someone bring him to you to nurse, or could you go to him at lunch time? Most moms don't respond as well to a pump as they do to their own baby. Are you drinking lots of water, getting as much rest as you can with four kids
, drinking mother's milk or taking fenugreek supplements? These will sometimes help increase production (at least they have for me, temporarily).

Just remember it's all about supply and demand. Everyone I've known who has supplemented with formula has seen their milk supply diminish. I think this usually happens when their baby goes through a growth spurt. Perhaps you could combine taking a day off from work with your usual three days off when he seems to really be nursing a lot and cuddle up in bed together, drink a lot water, and relax... I had to do this for my dd's sixth month growth spurt. My supply went up after about the third day, and we were back in sync again. She's eight months now and is still ebf, even though I'm working.

Good luck! I think it's just awesome you've been doing so well - you're definitely a role model for so many of us that have to combine bf and working!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskanteach
Should I cut myself some slack if I need to start ff for supplement since we have made it so far? If any of you started to supplement with an infant, when did you start?
That is really an individual, personal decision. I think you have done great so far and should be really proud of yourself

In your situation, I would probably just try to up my supply a bit, make sure baby has open access whenever you are around and hold off on formula as long as possible. Realistically, there are plenty of children at 4 months who go 5-8 hours without nursing--- if you reverse cycle nurse those 5-8 hours could just be during the day instead. Then, around 6 months you could start solids (if that was what you were planning on doing) for the extra calories.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Congrats!

Personally I wouldn't plan to supplement. That's a good way to end up in a downward spiral. I would try to up my supply and get the baby to nurse more and plan to avoid formula.

-Angela

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.