Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cross posted in allergies.<br><br>
I wasn't sure where to post this so I started with "allergies" but I think they're a little biased :-/<br><br>
So, we're supposed to delay introducing allergenic "solid" foods longer if we have a "family history of allergies".<br><br>
Well, my father has had a chronic runny nose with exposure to various environmental substances; fumes, pollen, chemicals, dust, etc. He and I both get rashes from grass expsure. My mom got hives from a sulfa drug recently, and apricots preserved with sulfites make me cough. But no family history of food allergies.<br><br>
Would you delay allergenic foods longer with this sort of family history?<br><br>
(I really don't want to. It sounds like a pain...)

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Moving to Life with a Babe

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
the things you've described in your family do sound like "allergic tendencies" and i personally, would take it real slow with solids......<br><br>
has your babe seemed to react to foods in your diet if you are nursing? does she have eczema? these are other warnings.....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Allergic family history=atopy, which is the predisposition to allergies, asthma and eczema. Any immediate family members who have environmental or chemical or food sensitivities and/or asthma or eczema means your child has a greatly increased risk of these conditions. I would not delay solids, but I would definitely research "what are the least allergenic foods" as well as recommended sequence. Typically one starts with squash and yams... cooked veggies and cooked fruits, no grains. It would be good to get your LO started on a good probiotic before starting solids, and staying on it through all food intros.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts