Mothering Forum banner

Introducing solids

532 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  LauraWV
I am still pregnant but have a question. Why is it that rice cereal is recommended frequently as a first food? Isn't that just a highly processed carb? I would think introducing a veggie or fruit would be a healthier choice.

Just curious.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I'm not sure of the reasoning (maybe the tummy tolerates it better?) but my kids didn't eat that. I always gave them fruits and veggies as a first food and they both did great. Hopefully I didn't mess them up! Also, I just cooked up the fruits and veggies on our plates, mashed them up and gave it to them. I'd rather not spend the $$$ buying store baby food.

Shannon
See less See more
I did the same thing as Shannon.
DS' first food was mashed avocado. I never fed DS cereal and he is doing just fine.
See less See more
My first food, at the ripe ol' age of 1 week old, was rice cereal. I understand some doctors are still fond of recommending it because it's not likely to provoke an allergic reaction since most parents start their babies on solids before 6 months (info from kellymom). Then there's the old iron debate (see here).

We started DD on solids at 7 months (old enough to digest whole grains). Her first grain was brown rice, and she's moving on to millet soon. Why mess around with processed food when you can have the real deal? But that's JMHO.

(A YaYa hello to Kat!)
I suspect that rice cereal is still recommended because it's just so darned bland...we didn't even try it here, as dd does not like bland. Period. Guess I must make spicy milk! Her first solid foods were mashed banana, avocado, kefir, blueberries and oatmeal - but then we did not introduce them 'till around 9 months.

My concern with the first cereals is that they're very filling, but with little or no nutritional and caloric value. And, I suspect they just aren't necessary, but they do make an awful lot of money for the mfrs. Cynical, moi?
:
See less See more
I *think* that rice cereal is often a first food because it is iron-fortified and is generally considered to be hypoallergenic (although rice allergies do exitst)...
However, I personally skipped baby food all together (not for lack of trying because I "thought" that was what one was supposed to do but DS was having *none* of it) and started DS out on finger foods when he was old enough to feed himself... so we didn't do the rice cereal route and went straight to textured/ self-feeding foods at about 10 months. So his first foods were fried potato cubes, avocado chunks, beans, steamed carrot slices, steamed green bean chunks, etc etc...

take care
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
My concern with the first cereals is that they're very filling, but with little or no nutritional and caloric value. And, I suspect they just aren't necessary, but they do make an awful lot of money for the mfrs. Cynical, moi?
:
No, not cynical. Smart. But the caveat you mention is only true of the highly processed, flaked rice cereal and other commercial brands. If you make your own, out of millet or rice or whole oats or amaranth or another grain, there's lots of nutrition packed in there. The rice cereal -- well, you might as well feed your kid flour paste, IMO.

I agree that avocado, banana, and other soft fruits (homemade applesauce) are great first foods. Yogurt, too, if your child hasn't shown any dairy sensitivities (or soy yogurt). Sweet potatoes are much more nutritious than white potato, and you can either puree them (and/or mix in BM) or serve well-cooked chunks for a self-feeder.

HTH.
~Nick
See less See more
OK: I have my heart set on avocado - now that's living the life if it's your first solid food. And very appropriate for a CA baby.

Quote:
(A YaYa hello to Kat!)
Hi!
: We seem to bump in to each other pretty regularly.
I've "seen" you over at TCOYF too.
See less See more
My husband and I were talking the other day about what to feed our son first... I voted for bananas, but he nixed it (because he hates them). I'm sure it'll be avocado though, since we both love it. It'll be so much fun! (i think).
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.