Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so AFTER I gave my almost 11 month old some flaked fish for lunch I got thinking, when are we supposed to wait till to introduce fish. I just forget when i introduced it to my older two, Is there any rule as far a fish goes or do you just introduce it with other protiens(chicken, pork ect.)<br>
If it means anything it was some Alaskan pollack that I had baked with butter and lemon slices (mmmmm good) and I made sure there where no bones.<br><br>
I'm just worried that I've exposed her to something that I souldn't yet>

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I know. (Just edited a book on baby/toddler feeding, written by a well-informed dietitian.)<br><br>
If babe is at high risk for allergies, wait till age 2 or 3. Otherwise it's generally recommended to wait till age 1, since fish is one of the more common allergens in this country.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I introduced it at 6 months when they all started solids. My last daughter's first solid was crablegs.<br><br>
Here's a great article: <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449" target="_blank">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449</a>

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I would just be careful about mercury content. Some fish is higher in mercury than others.... you could look it up

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Did you know that fish/shellfish is one of the most common allergen there is??<br><br>
If i'm not mistaking you shouldn't give fish before they are atleast 1yrs, but i want to say 2yrs old before you introduce fish.<br><br>
Check with the AAP to see what is the guideline.<br><br>
opps: I saw Tine post afterward.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Super Baby Food recommends at 9 months I think. I followed this for my ds1, and then my ped warned me to wait till a year. Too late! He only had fish, not shellfish before a year, and we have no histories of allergies, so it all worked out...

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
If there is no history of allergies in your family I'd relax, it's unlikely to cause a problem. The little one is almost a year anyhow. I won't give fish until after a year because there's a strong history of shellfish allergy in my family, but if that weren't an issue, I wouldn't worry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts