Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby food book says its okay to introduce plain yogurt at 9 months. My DD is 10 months and I was wondering if it's a good idea to try it... I was under the impression all dairy should be withheld until 12 months but I remember reading that some of you posted that you started cheese and yogurt at 10 or 11 months?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I started plain unsweetened yogurt with DS at 7 months. He absolutely adores it. We share yogurt and fresh fruit every morning for breakfast.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
DD has been having full regular yogurt -- with fruit, not plain -- and cheese too (all organic of course) for months.<br><br>
I think the issue is that yogurt and cheese are "cultured" dairy -- all the stuff that babies shouldn't be ingesting from regular milk have been processed by bacteria already.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How timely! DS is ten months and I just bought some organic full-fat vanilla yogurt today, to test out tomorrow a.m. We have no dairy allergies in the family and he's already had some "hidden" dairy in sweet potato bread, so I figured we'd try it. Plus I prefer for him to have some higher-caloric foods rather than just filler as he's on the slim side.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
We did plain yogurt around 9 months, we stay away from the flavored ones- way too much sugar. DS also loves cottage cheese. We get the organic and cultured one. Cultured dairy is way easier to digest, so it is a great place to start.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My son refused to eat baby foods...yogurt was actually his favorite food from 6 months when I started him on solids! I did give him vanilla for a little while before I realized it has sugar - now it's stoneyfield farms whole fat plain all the time - I make him "smoothies" with yogurt, banana and tofu (sometimes a bit of cooked rice thrown in) He loves them! It's never interfered with his nursing and he has never had any reaction to it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
My ds eats yogurt all day long! He loves it. He does like the flavored kind (Yo Baby from Stoneyfield Farm) but because I cannot nurse (see signature) I have to worry about him getting all nutrition from solids so I think the goodness of the yogurt more than makes up for the badness of the sugar.<br><br>
However, if I were feeding solids and nursing, I'd go for plain, full fat Brown Cow yougurt. NUmmers! (I feed that to my ds also but like I said he prefers the flavored kind...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts