Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been a long time lurker (or non-participating member) for a while and i frequent other boards (TBW, HC) much more often and under a different name but i came across this forum (on HC, actually) as a great resource for waldorf education and am so happy to have found it. i can see myself coming to MDC more often, specifically for information and support on this method of education.

when my oldest, who is now ten, was about to begin kindergarten i researched my alternatives briefly and due to circumstances (i was working nights at intel and the only waldorf school in our area was in santa fe...an hour away) i enrolled him in public school. by christmas break i decided to dis-enroll and homeschool him. he attended school again in second grade and was again, homeschooled after the first half of the school year until this year. he wanted to go back to school in fifth grade and after trying to get in with a few charter schools and being largely unsuccessful, he is at the public school down the street. for the most part i HATE it, but he's learning a lot about how to get along in that kind of world, which i think might do him some good. he's always been a bit testy, impulsive, and challenging so his teacher and i are working closely together to ensure that we promote good behavior and healthy choices.

i can wish that things had been different when he was younger, but as a young single mother i could only do so much. if i had to choose, i would say that what i did with him was mostly considered unschooling, though i did pull out the books and try to enagage him. that was always a struggle! he is excelling, academically, in school, though so he was none worse for the wear.

now that i have another son, and more time on my hands (i am finishing my undergraduate degree but mostly a SAHM) i am seriously researching the waldorf method again and plan on homeschooling the little one, exclusively waldorf. my fiance largely supports this decision but he asks questions about the belief system and curricula that i cannot always answer. and who has time to read a book? no really, i love to read and plan on getting "You are Your Child's First Teacher" and a few other books that explain the why's and how's of the waldorf experience. i am open to any suggestions that you all have, and am already aware of openwaldorf.com, which i will visit when time permits.

so anyhow, this was a bit more lengthy than i planned on. thanks for bearing with me and my long intro. i really just wanted to say hi and i'll be around!

·
Registered
19,281 Posts
Welcome to Mothering and welcome to the Waldorf forum!

My experience is mostly in-school waldorf, but I'll be happy to answer any questions that match my background.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dear GirlinCircles,

Welcome and don't fret, there's just a ton of information available on Waldorf homeschooling to empower you. You can essentially homeschool both or just one. I would suggest you read the beginners page of my website as a starter. YAYCFT is a great book, but if your older one will be participating, you might want to join the
Steiner Library so you can check out books on all of the developmental stages, plus specific books for individual blocks.

Also, for your little one, you might want to get a book called,
A Child's Seasonal Treasury (available at Bob & nancy's and other Waldorf suppliers). I have always believed that that book and YAYCFT plus your library are all
the books you need for kindergarten!

Then, of course, you will want art & craft supplies. (Save your cash for those!)

Best wishes,

Lucie

·
Registered
19,281 Posts
The Rudolf Steiner Library is an amazing resource. Besides homeschoolers, many waldorf teachers use it for research on various block topics. I know the ladies who currently run the joint, too, and they are great people, friendly and helpful. The previous librarian, Fred Paddock, built up an extraordinary collection over many years. He is a brilliant thinker and scholar and also a sweet person. So check it out! Unfortunately there isn't an online catalog yet, although some of the booklists are available online, but they are working on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts