Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a new bread that has 5 grams of fiber in each slice, which is really great as I need to increase my fiber intake, but I'm wondering what inulin is? Anyone have any idea? Is it good for you or no?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Essentially inulin is a plant form of insulin. It's not exactly the same and since it is from a plant source it works differnetly in the body that natural insuling. However, it does help to regulate blood sugar. That's intersting to me that they would isolate it and add it to bread. It's found in a lot of really healing plants though!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Inulin is a solube fiber. It is called soluble because it "dissolves" easily into a liquid, sort of like how sugar dissolves. [Fibers can also be "insoluble" which means they don't dissolve in water and pass through the system as bulk.] It's a prebiotic which means that it promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.

http://www.inulinplaza.com/en/1/2/7/36/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.