Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article

Quote:
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has ordered government and cultural bodies to use modified Persian words to replace foreign words that have crept into the language, such as "pizzas" which will now be known as "elastic loaves," state media reported Saturday.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
That's just odd. I wonder if this is a common thing that has been happening since 79 and it's just now getting press coverage, it was hard to for me to tell the way the article was worded.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
...yes and if anyone accidentally says one of these "banned" or the original "unmodified" words what will happen?

Maybe they'll get their tongue cut out.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilary Briss
What does Ahmadinejad think he is, French?

I was reminded of that too. Didn't the french recently do something very similar?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Quote:
Didn't the french recently do something very similar?
No, nothing recently. They have had a longstanding campaign to avoid the pernicious influence of foreign words. Foreign words are to the French language what illegal immigrants are to the US body politic: they must be deported, or put into internment camps.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Ya'll remember all these wicked Iran stories when they are calling up your sons and daughters give their blood to liberate the Iranians and the Syrians and and and...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Ya'll remember all these wicked Iran stories
The fact is Iran ranks pretty high in the abuse of human rights. There is no need to defend a country that routinely oppresses and censors its own people.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anuska
The fact is Iran ranks pretty high in the abuse of human rights. There is no need to defend a country that routinely oppresses and censors its own people.
Oh golly gosh there are soo many ways to respond to this. I'll leave the whole "but we do it too" argument aside for the moment because I want to note something. I critisize Iran *aplenty* and unlike most people I actually have some knowledge of which I speak beyond silly newspaper stories, and yes this is silly. Of the many legitimate and important human rights issues that face the Iranian public this is utter stupidity. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go have some freedom fries with a side of liberty cabbage.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdokht
Oh golly gosh there are soo many ways to respond to this. I'll leave the whole "but we do it too" argument aside for the moment because I want to note something. I critisize Iran *aplenty* and unlike most people I actually have some knowledge of which I speak beyond silly newspaper stories, and yes this is silly. Of the many legitimate and important human rights issues that face the Iranian public this is utter stupidity. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go have some freedom fries with a side of liberty cabbage.
Hmmm, where did anyone say this was a major human rights issue? In fact, the reason I posted it was because I thought it was silly.

ETA: Must have scrolled quickly past Anuska's comment. I see where she said that. I suppose I still think the whole thing is a silly. Silly on Iran's part and silly as a whole.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I didn't realize you meant this as a silly thing Snooter.

I saw it as more censorship for the Iranian people as the article stated:

Quote:
The presidential decree, issued earlier this week, orders all governmental agencies, newspapers and publications to use words deemed more appropriate by the official language watchdog, the Farhangestan Zaban e Farsi, or Persian Academy, the Irna official news agency reported.
I see it as just another noose being tighted around the necks of the Iranian people by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Quote:
and unlike most people I actually have some knowledge of which I speak beyond silly newspaper stories, and yes this is silly
Then mahdokht, you should know that this is probably just the beginning of more censorship and not something to be taken as "silly" or light. To force a person, newspaper, publications, to use only "state sanctioned" words is the beginning of more oppression. I hardly think you'd condone that.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

I didn't realize you meant this as a silly thing Snooter....I see it as just another noose being tighted around the necks of the Iranian people by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

but the French have been doing this forever. I just can't get worked up over anything the French do.

Do you think the French people are oppressed?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Okay enlighten me to where the French have declared a governmental decree, forcing government agencies, newspapers, and publications to only use certain words and have banned other foreign words?

This article didn't sound like Ahmadinejad was just suggesting this change.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I wonder what Iran will call "internet" and "email"

Isn't that where the French really ran into trouble? I recall some oddness over those words...what about burrito? can you still drive a Ferrari and call it a Ferrari? I just have so many questions and so few answers...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

I didn't realize you meant this as a silly thing Snooter.

I think the whole thing is silly, ridiculous, not furthering anything. I find what Iran is doing to be silly in that it's laughable that someone would think calling pizzas "elastic loaves" will keep those wicked westerners at bay. At the same time, I think it's "silly" to get up in arms about because really, if they change some words to their prefered arabic words, so be it. However, if we're talking killing and maiming for using western words, then it will cease being silly and become a very large and horrible issue.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I'm sure the Iranian people will take this ban to heart just like the rest of the bans he's tried to impose.

But if he's already "banned" western cultural influences in the past...why do they STILL have pizza?? Is it pizza as we know it???

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lula
Isn't that where the French really ran into trouble? I recall some oddness over those words...what about burrito? can you still drive a Ferrari and call it a Ferrari? I just have so many questions and so few answers...
We once ate at a resturant in Montreal called.....

Trois Amigos

While we were in Montreal, some one blew up a coffee shop because the English name of the shop was too close to being the same size as the French name. The sign was bilingual, and the French was larger, but not larger enough.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts