Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to families in Ireland.

I would very much appreciate hearing about your perceptions of local schools. Are there homeschoolers, too?

I recently came across the yahoo-group called Home Educators in Ireland. The description of the group states:

A forum for discussing all matters relating to home education in Ireland, with the purpose of giving information, support and encouragement to home educators here; and of galvanizing and organizing effectively whatever responses may be needed to counter threats to the constitutional right to home educate in Ireland.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HEN-Ireland/

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, there are homeschoolers in Ireland. It is a small group, but well organised. See the website of the Home Education Network.

The primary curriculum taught in Irish (state) schools is quite progressive and there is generally quite a high standard of teaching. The education system in Ireland is unusual, in that schools were traditionally run by the Roman Catholic church, with a small number run by the Church of Ireland. Although most schools are still owned by the church and controlled by a religious board, primary education is now funded by the State and teachers are paid by the government.

There is a new, rapidly growing, multidenominational education movement called Educate Together. Educate Together schools still teach the primary curriculum, but are run by parent-operated boards and with a lot of parental involvement, and religious instruction takes place out of school hours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response, Rmeg.

We have homeschooled most of 16 years, in very different settings -- Hispanic-African-Caribbean, multicultural Hawaii, New England, American Southeast, Native American tribes... We have quite an adaptable family! We have been adapting to public school for the last year and a half -- our greatest adaptation yet! But, we hope to fulfill a three generation dream and reside in Ireland soon; we have been researching for years... My husband has made a lifelong study of Irish history, culture... One daughter is writing a historical fiction novel set in Ireland just before, during, and after the Easter Rebellion. I am interested in exploring connections among Irish and Native American cultures.

We continue to be open to participating in the best educational setting from the various options -- thank you for highlighting three!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.