Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I'm at 13 weeks and have recently been tested for anemia... My family doctor has suggested that I take 300 mg of iron daily - this seems like a huge amount to me! My MW is on holiday right now, so I thought I'd just run it by all of you before I started taking all of this iron...

TIA

Erin

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I'm no expert, but that does seem like an obscene amount to be taking daily. I took 28 mg on top of my prenatal that had 15 mg. I would double check to make sure theyy didn't write the wrong amount down.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The largest dose that I could find per capsule was 25 mg... That's when I got suspicious!

Thanks...

·
Registered
620 Posts
My MW recommended "Floridix" Iron+Herbs supplement. It's a German product; I got it at Whole Foods. Much more easily absorbed & less constipating than tablets/capsules. there are 10 mg of Iron per 10ml; adults recommended to take 2 doses a day for anemia.

take with a glass of citrus or apple juice (Vitamin C) to aid absorbtion. It's also best to avoid foods/supplements high in calcium an hour before/after taking your iron.

I have been on/off anemic for over 10 years and this is by far the easiest supplement for me to take--when you first get started the metallic aftertaste is awful but once it starts working in your body it isnt bad at all.

Stay Strong!
Keep those levels up!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I also reccomend floradix, it has always got my iron levels up really quickly. I was taking it 3 times a day a few months ago but that was still only 30mg so I am sure there must be an extra "0" in the number you were given

tara

1 - 7 of 7 Posts