Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I have nothing to be concerned about and just need a little reassurance. Here's our situation:
My daughter is 3 weeks old, chubby and healthy (9lb 3oz at birth, 10lb 15 oz at 2 weeks three days).
She has always been a good eater, but has recently (past few days) reduced the lengths of feedings. More often than not, she will eat for 5-7 minutes on one side and be satisfied until the next feeding (which could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours later). While she used to eat for 10-15 minutes at a feeding, this is now quite rare. She used to take both breasts occasionally, but this is now rare, too.
I do not have supply problems, and seem to have a strong letdown. She gets sprayed in the face if she pulls off at the wrong time!

So, my questions:
1. Should I try to get her to eat longer? (How would you do that, anyway?)
2. Should I be concerned about the foremilk/hindmilk issue?
3. Is there anything else I should be doing? (Feeding on the same side for consecutive feedings, etc?)

Thanks you so much for any input and suggestions.

· Registered
7,337 Posts
My baby is only 11 days old but I have this same sort of pattern. He only feeds about 6 minutes on one side and then is done and really cannot be made to eat more. I initiate feeding every 2 hours or so and he gets his fill quickly. I also have strong letdown and have been told that he's just getting full fast because of my milk flow. I was told to offer only one breast per feeding for now and then if it persists offer one breast every 2 feedings in a few weeks. I am told that as long as babys poop looks appropriate in color and texture (yellow and seedy) that the balance of fats is fine. Reaslisticly, you can't force feed a breastfeeding baby and as long as she's growing well I wouldn't worry about her a bit.

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Short frequent feeds are the best bet for oversupply/letdowns.
One breast only is the way to go.

One breast per every 3 hours (or longer, everyone is different) can be initiated at any time (no need to wait several more weeks, MHL) if baby is gassy and poops are green, and/or baby is fussy at breast or refusing breast.

If you go this route, the unused side will get overfull at first. Express out mik just until you are comfortable. Just to take off the pressure. Your body will get the signal (eventualy) to make less milk.

· Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the great information! Good to know we're not the only ones, MHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaryLLL
One breast per every 3 hours (or longer, everyone is different) can be initiated at any time (no need to wait several more weeks, MHL) if baby is gassy and poops are green, and/or baby is fussy at breast or refusing breast.
Apart from the green poops, that is my daughter! Nothing gets me crazier than when she gets frustrated while eating. I will definitely try the three hour technique.

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pease
Thank you so much for the great information! Good to know we're not the only ones, MHL.

Oh, you are not the only 2! Millions of women have this issue. It is very common.

Quote:
Apart from the green poops, that is my daughter! Nothing gets me crazier than when she gets frustrated while eating. I will definitely try the three hour technique.
Also, as I told MHL on another thread: try nursing lying down and/or in a reclined position with baby on top of you so milk has to go up against gravity.

When baby gets older she will be able to handle the flow better in typical cradle hold, but for now may need a little help.

Once you go to the once breast only (for x hours) technique, your supply should start to simmer down some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.