Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh (37) has had for the second time an irregular heart beat and high blood pressure that lasted all day. His doc. has found nothing wrong but advised no caffine or alcohol. They do seem to be triggers but I wonder what the underlying problem is and if there is anything he can do to strengthen his heart.<br><br>
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've had problems with an irregular heartbeat now for 2 1/2 years. It started suddenly at work one day. I went to the ER, was treated, and sent home on a Holter monitor (that records every heartbeat for 24hrs).<br><br>
Anyway, it showed 16,000+ PVC's (skipped beats) in the 24 hr period. Needless to say, that is very abnormal (esp for a 25 year old ). I've been on medicine now ever since and my heart is regular for the most part. I've had two flare-ups that sent me to the ER, but since I completely cut out 99% of caffeine and watched my sodium intake, I've been OK.<br><br>
Do I like knowing I may have to take a cardiac med every day for the rest of my life? No, yet I don't feel comfortable not taking it. Arrythmias are very scary, even if they aren't life threatening.<br><br>
I'd advise your dh to see his family doctor and at least give the Holter monitor a go. Hopefully he was just overloaded on caffeine, but better safe than sorry.<br><br>
That's an interesting thought about the mercury fillings. My mom had all sorts of medical problems until she had all her old fillings taken out and replaced. I have a dentist appt this Thursday, I will ask about my fillings.<br><br>
lisa

1 - 2 of 2 Posts