Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...chicken pox? My ds will be 9mo nexr Friday. My friend's 9yo came down with them (even though he has been vaxed). My dd was vaxed too, but it's been awhile so hers might have worn off too. I'd like to do it and get them over with, but I'm not sure if ds is too little for them.<br><br>
(I also posted this in vax.)

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I would not feel comfortable exposing a 9 month old to chicken pox.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i dont know if i would prposfully give it to him, but hes not too little to get them. as for your vaxed child, when i worked at the daycare and we had an outbreak, i would say everyone who was old enough for the vax had gotten it, and most of the kids in the center got at least a mild case

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd be a little bummed if my baby caught chicken pox, but on the other hand, I had them at 2 months old (my older sister caught them at preschool and shared with me) and had a very light case. No scars at all since I was too little to scratch, and had quick-healing baby skin. My mom thinks that was a good age, LOL. My immunity level was tested several years ago and I had a high level of immunity despite having a light case, so long ago.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My daughter got them about 8 months of age and even though it was mild, the doctor warned she could get them again since she was so young the first time. She never did get another episode, but I felt bad she was so young. Her siblings brought it home from school, so there wasn't much I could do, but I wouldn't have exposed her on purpose at that age. Both my nieces got the pox before two and they got it again when they were older.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I would not purposefully expose an infant to chicken pox -- for several reasons, but primarily because there's no way for a 9 month old to clearly communicate what he's feeling exactly, so it would be more difficult to know how to best treat his symptoms and also to know quickly if complications were setting in.<br><br>
I agree getting the virus is better in the long run than getting the vaccine (absolutely), but I would wait until my child were at least old enough to communicate more clearly, for her own sake.<br><br>
We actually had the opportunity to expose our child to CP a few months ago and we were very uncomfortable with the notion of doing so purposefully at such a young age, so we did not. (My FIL had shingles and was coming to visit. we asked him not to come.)<br><br>
There's a difference between a 9 month old getting the virus accidentally (nothing you can do about that but try and treat it best you can), and purposefully exposing an <i>infant</i> to a virus.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Moving to Health and Healing.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Since your child was vaccinated against cp, I would not expose her on purpose. I know the vaccine serves little purpose and a wild case certainly would be have been much better (we can say that about all "VPD" btw) but why overload her? IMO, she is too young for that.<br><br>
She may get it when she's older anyway since the vaccine does not do much except weaken the immune system. Let her deal with it in a more natural way. That really goes for all infections all the way around.<br><br>
Don't try to have it both ways.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the input. I think we will skip it then. I'm mad at myself for ever getting dd vaxed and feel really bad about the cp one. Ds is totally vax free. I just know that when I got them as a teenager it was far worse for me than my little brother who brought them home. So I'd like my kids to get them when they are younger to try to avoid complications.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Not sure where but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if a child gets the pox before 12 mos of age they are more likely to develop shingles in childhood. I have shingles right now and I would not wish it on my absolute worst enemy and I shudder to think about some poor little child going through the terrible pain I have been in. It's worse than labor pain, it's awful. I wouldn't chance it because of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts