Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're buying a new bed in the next month, before the baby comes. We have a co-sleeper and plan to use it, but I'm sure the baby will sleep in our bed sometimes after nursing.

My husband loves the tempur-pedic mattresses. I'm concerned about whether they'll be safe for an infant, with the way they sink to conform to a body. Will this increase our risk of SIDS? Any ideas?

·
Registered
689 Posts
We have a tempurpedic bed and absolutely love that thing! It is worth every penny and we get so much better quality sleep. We never coslept with ds but are planning on cosleeping with all other future children and I have often wondered the same thing. But to be honest I really don't think it would be bad. The tempurpedic is actually a much firmer matress than most other mattresses. And firm is the major qualification to make a matress safe. It depends what model you get (I believe there are 3) but the more expensive you get, the more it sinks down b/c there are more layers of the tempur material. We have the middle model which is what most people have, and I think it is still firmer than our old matress. I wouldn't get the highest model though (the "celebrity bed") because it probably wouldn't be firm enough. You do sink down but you will be suprised how little you actually sink. It feels like you are laying flat and not sinking at all, but that is just b/c it fits into the different parts of your body. If you have ever used a tempurpedic pillow or knock off, they sink down way more then the actual matress.

Another reason I think the tempurpedic would be safe for cosleeping is that it actually has air chambers in the middle which help the matress not to trap heat. Overheating has also been linked to SIDS so I think in that respect it makes it a safer matress. Further more you baby's weight will not be heavy enough to depress the matress even alittle bit, if at all.

One side note, it may take you a week or 2 to get used to the bed because it is so different but I think you will really like it.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
we have a king-sized isotonic mattress (cheaper version of tempurpedic, you should look into those) and we LOVE it. rowan sleeps like a rock on it. he sleeps much better on that mattress than anywhere else, specifically BECAUSE it sort of cups him and doesn't give him any pressure points like a firm regular mattress would. two thumbs up from me!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
We have a tempurpedic knock off (actually better I think b/c the core of the mattress is latex vice HD foam, it's waaay cheaper, and they'll work with you to get a custom firmness....I sound like an infomercial,
) and DS sleeps on it wonderfully. It's a Gen3 from a site called Bsleep and it rocks. The best thing about it is the isolation of movement. I still notice if DS wakes, but if DH or I want to get up, the bed doesn't move at all. DS doesn't sink much into it at all. Less so than he did in a conventional bed, IMO. You should definitely shop around and price competitors before you buy, though, b/c a lot of the "knockoffs" are really good now. I did TONS of research and comparisons on these types of beds so if anybody wants more info, feel free to pm me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.