Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sick and feeling like I need to boost my vitamin intake. I read on the side of the Airborne package to not take while pregnant? Anyone know why? Its just vitamins right? TIA

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
There's some artifical sweetener in it (sorbitol and sucralose - certainly nothing too bad), and "natural and artifical orange flavor".... other than that it's just vitamins and herbs, and some baking soda (to make it fizz).....

I take it all the time. My midwife said it's fine.
:

ETA: It does have 100% of the daily requirement of Vit A in it. Too much Vitamin A is definitely bad during pregnancy (esp first trimester), so just don't take more than one a day. Your prenatal vitamin most likely lacks Vit A (most do), so it's unlikely you're getting too much combined with other sources. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It seems like the verdict is generally out on Airborne while prengant (I've read everything from definitely not to sure, why not?) but the general consensus is that Emergen-C is a safer alternative for boosting your immune system. Personally, I don't know anything about Chinese herbs and a lot of what is listed in the ingredients are Chinese herbs (somebody said it's the same formula as yin chau (sp?) so maybe that's a place to start looking?). In lieu of research I'm not up to, I skip it.

My favorite cold remedy is called Spanish Lemonade. It sounds really gross, but I swear it works! Crush 1 clove of garlic and juice one lemon into a mug. Pour boiling hot water over and cover for about 5 minutes. Sweeten with a touch of honey and drink up! I can do 3 or 4 of these on my worst days.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
The night time one's a bad choice, but the daytime one's ok according to my midwife. I took it only a few times during my pregnancy, but everything was ok.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My midwives recommended emergency-c... I told them I heard it wasn't safe, it was, and they said to get an "over dose" of the vitamins.... you'd have to take a butt load (they didn't actually say "butt load"...but they implied it).

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It has petroleum in it... just fyi. I avoid it b/c it had dextrose in it and I'm allergic to potato. I just take Lemon Balm tincture - it's a natural anti-viral.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ladies for all the responses. You all are the best!

I will certainly keep in mind the mixing it with my prenatals during this first trimester.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I agree, it's a no no during pregnancy. I researched it early on this pg, since I'll be pg during cold/flu season and anticipate getting a cold in the next few months.. I found Zicam is a-okay, and that always works well for me, so I'll be using that IF I need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.