Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my baby is a boy, I am planning to name him Alexander. My young cousin (13) just informed me that if I do so, he will be teased constantly. Now, when I went to school, and when my 20-yr-old cousin went to school, there were lots of boys named Alex. But this younger cousin says that every single Alex she has ever heard of among her peers is a girl. Has it become the case that only girls are named Alex (Alexandra, Alexandria, Alexis, whatever) now? Please tell me you know of some boys under age 13 who are called Alex.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have a cousin named Alexia and they call her Lexi. I don't think I've heard too many girls called Alex to the point where a boy would be made fun of, but maybe in your area it's different. I love the name Alexander, but we have an Athena and it would be too many A names for us, and a little too heavy on the Greek for us as well, although we're beginning to think that part isn't that big of a deal. However if I named a boy Alexander, I would call him Xander. I love that.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW if it's a girl I'm naming her Rebecca

·
Registered
663 Posts
My 13 year old dd is an Alex. She says there are a few other girls named Alex in the school that she knows of, and one boy. There are about 700 students in her school. Don't know if that sheds any light. I still think of it as a boy or girl name and many people assume I have a son when I talk about Alex.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I think it is one of those names where it doesn't matter. my ds is named Tracy and everyone thinks he is a girl...and it started as a male name...not a female one!

Besides who says you have to call him Alex, if you want to then I missed that part. My dh is named Benjamin and hates being called Ben so he goes by Benjamin. Is it formal? It depends on the person!

I like Alexander...it was on our short list

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames is where you can find the popularity of names for the last 12-13 years in America. well, the top 1000 anyway. so go an compare alexis/alexandra to alexander and you'll get an idea of where the name stands.

FWIW, one of the hottest guys I have ever known was named Alex, short for Alexis. one of my friends also dated an Alexis, also very hot.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I know a little boy named Alexander (called Alex) who just turned two. I wouldn't worry about the boy's name/girl's name thing over Alex; I think Alex will always be a strong boy's name. My concern would be that you're named Alice and that Alice and Alex sound very similar, so you wouldn't know if your dd or your dp was calling for you or for him. Same reason I wouldn't name my son James or Dane.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jane
My concern would be that you're named Alice and that Alice and Alex sound very similar, so you wouldn't know if your dd or your dp was calling for you or for him.
I was wondering if anyone would notice that (my dd's nickname is Lissa, which also sounds a little like Alice.)
At home we would probably call him Alexander (I'm not really crazy about Xander). I'm just assuming that at some point, *someone* will probably be calling him Alex (probably kids at school, or he might prefer it himself).

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I hope it's still a boys name 'cause if this baby is a boy he is going to be Alexander. I was a teacher before my girls were born and I knew a couple of boys named Alex and a couple of girls. I think it can go either way.

T Devrock- I have family that lives in Gloversville. Small world!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My daughter's name is Alexia and she is just called Alexia :LOL I love the name Alexander I would use that name if we had a boy but it would be to close to Alexia. I think of Alex as a boys name still. I would think a boy named Shannon or Cassidy would be made fun of before a boy named Alex ya know what i mean.
:

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Our 7-yo neighbor is an Alexander.
For the first 3 or so years, he was called Xander, but it's been Alex ever since. If he's getting teased, it's for stuff other than his name, trust me...WE call him "Spawn".
:

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are all making me feel a lot better -- thank you!

2girlsmommy -- Now I'm wondering if I know your family! If you want, you can PM me the last name.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
devrock my ds aged 12 is called Alex (only people who don't know him call him Alexander) and I have known male and female Alexs over the years. Here's the part youwon't like! the kids at his school used to say "oh that's a girls name" despite the fact that there was only one female Alex there at the time. He got teased a lot and at age 8 changed his name to Carlos(after a power ranger
) and the name stuck till he left primary school, even the teachers called him Carlos! now he's back to Alex nad is also often called Al. He does not care for Xander or Alec or Sandy or Lex.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Al won't work -- people call *me* Al (including my dp). I never thought of Lex -- that's cute! I think of Sandy as a girl name, though.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I knew that Sandra is derived from Alexander(which is why I want to name my son Alexander) but I hadn't heard of people calling boys named Alexander, Sandy. Ya learn something new every day!

Davrock- I pm'd you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.