Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 2 1/2. We've been working with EI for a year now, the initial concern being language regression. His ped dismissed our concerns at his 12 month appt, and at his 2 year, she referred him to be tested for Autism. Now we are working with a Behavior Ped, almost 2 hours away. I really feel like his main issue is SPD, not Autism, but feel that it is important to continue with this Dr. The Dr is wanting to figure out why DS is not speaking, so we're working through a 'check list' which includes cognitive testing, hearing test, OT eval, genetic testing, and some other things including an EEG. I feel at this point the EEG is not really necessary, and am wondering about the genetic testing as well. I know that unnoticed seizures are possible but I just don't think that putting him through that will really be beneficial. They want him awake, but will put him under (IV I think) to do the test since he will not tolerate it. I'm looking to get some opinions of others who have gone through this.

· Registered
357 Posts
My boy is 3, he was diagnosed at 2.5. He had an EEG back in December for unnoticed seizures. He didn't get an IV, just some oral meds, and it worked out ok. He was off for a few days because of the drugs. His sleeping was off, and he was more stimmy then usual, but it wore off. I was questioning getting it done, but i'm happy now I went ahead and did it.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
IMO better safe than sorry. I think when you are looking to see what is up best to check all the boxes. That way you know something is not going on. We did that with DD, and the genetics test turned up something, even though every doc in the place said they were certain it would turn up nothing but might as well check everything. She has had 4 EEGs and while she is younger than your DS she has never been put under at all. I just hold her during the test. An MRI is another good test to have to rule out brain injury, as that can cause problems as well and sometimes it is not at all obvious.

· Registered
79 Posts
My 30 month old ASD boy had an EEG back in December to rule out seizures. He did not have an meds. Just sleep deprivation. It was set up around his nap time, so we woke him up really early and did not let him nap. The worst part was putting on the leads. He screamed and cried so hard, I even started to cry. By the time they were done, he was so exhausted from all that, he fell right to sleep.I brought his blankey, bottle, and lovey and laid with him on a hospital bed.

They told us they wanted to get brain waves from when he was awake, drowsy, and asleep. They were able to get all of those things. I was also told that giving him medication would cause artifact and not the most accurate scan. His scan was negative for seizures.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no way we could consent to him being awake during it. We had his hearing tested Wed for the 5th time in the past year. It did not go well, he fought DH and cried. I could only imagine what would happen if he had to sit through this. They want him sleep deprived but will put him to sleep. They want us to check into the hospital late at night. They won't let us do this anywhere near our house, which is 90 min from the hospital. That in itself is frustrating since we have a 15 month old DD as well, but doesn't have much bearing on our decision. DH suggested possibly getting through everything else before that. DS has had several evals (OT, Speech, cognitive, and something else is on the books too, I just can not remember what w/out look at my calendar) already but we won't get any feedback from the Dr until everything is done. DH wants to hear where the Dr is on this before doing the EEG.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I would do it, but I would do everything else first. Then I would contact the doctor and make sure there is no other testing that might require sedation prior to getting the EEG. That way, if he wants to add something he can, and you will not have to make 2 trips or have him sedated twice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.