Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 motives for asking this question, first is, I want to do some Xmas shopping and would love to buy from someone i "know' ykwim? I dont know if your allowed to post your links or anything but you can say what your store is right?
secondly, I have been on the long road to becomming a VB WAHM for a long time and its all finally comming together now. My sample is approved and Im almost ready to open. Good timing eh? Im just trying to brainstorm if/how I can possibly make this all work out. id love to hear how others juggle their WAHM business and motherhhod and stay sane (or not LOL)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am

Can't say I juggle it all very well though! My 2 oldest daughters are now in school, so that helps. When I was sewing everything myself, I got pretty behind on a regular basis, so I hired on a mama-owned biz to help me sew the diapers. I do everything else, but the majority of my biz is from the PUL diapers. So that helps a LOT. I've found that I spend sooo much time just working on inventory on my site, answering emails, and general admin biz duties, that it was really hard to juggle with the sewing itself!
Aside from that, I'm a basket case!!!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Aubin! Congrats on becoming a VB WAHM!
I bet the Canadian mamas will ESPECIALLY be glad to have you! That's really awesome!

I'm a WAHM, but I really operate a very small business. I closed down completely during the first part of this pregnancy. And, now am opening back up for Holiday shopping. Last holiday season I sold out of my felted wool toys typically within 5 minutes of stocking. I just couldn't make enough to keep up with everyone that wanted one... or ten. This year might be different though. Who knows. It's hard to tell what way the wind will blow for popularity! Also, being due the beginning of Dec kind of throws things off for when people will most be hunting for Holiday gifts.

Ahhhh, I stock this coming Thursday and I'm just a little nervous that I'll have been working so hard to make these toys and no one will buy them. I don't know whether or not to stock a lot or a little. Hard to know what the demand is! Oh, I have a link in my siggie, FYI. My main site is being revamped right now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just finished up the last of my custom orders and have closed to customs for now. It's really weird not taking custom orders - especially since I feel the need to start a new project - but I'm in the middle of a move and who knows when this baby is gonna show up - so I really need to take this time to focus on my family and settling into our new home.

I'm sure eventually you will find a balance. I get a little nervous thinking about being a mom of 3 and a wahm, but I'm sure it'll work itself out.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I was until January of this year but I couldnt take the stress and time it took. LOL I didnt even have to sew much (mostly did wholesale, the only thing I did sewing for was wetbags and pail liners), I cant imagine how hard you sewing mamas work! I just felt like my life revolved around packing stuff up and the post office. HAHAHA

All you mamas need to PM me your links though!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Yes, my hat goes off to the really busy WAHMs!
Also, it's so competitive in diaper world right now. I think that's a challenge that wasn't so present before. There are just SO MANY nice diapers out there!

We can't openly post our own sites, but I can post others.
Aubin's site is http://www.parkavebaby.ca/ (under construction)
I found out that Patti's store is this: http://www.dandeliondreamers.com/
And, Ame's is this: http://www.ellasdiapers.com/
Mine is in my signature (you can buy special advertising for your signature that turns your username red to signify that you have permission to have advertising)

Desiree, what store did you have? I do think it's rough when you're super busy! Last holiday time I was swamped. I was teaching classes during the day, leading LLL, and had soooo many pkgs and felting to do plus a DH who works long hours! Whew. It was too much. This year is bound to be better. I'm only doing what I can and promising myself to be in bed before midnight each night.

Ame what are you planning to do when your new sweet son arrives?

·
Registered
447 Posts
What is a VB Work At Home Mama? I am stumped on the VB part. I have dreamed of and tried some sewing for others, but just couldn't pull it together with little ones around. Aubin, I can hardly wait to show off my little one in his matching diaper and outfit! I love it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oops I didnt realize that we couldnt openly post our own sites, good thing I didnt
I can see self spamming, but if someone asks us just what sites we own...hmmmm....crazyness. Thanks Spark for posting others. Im going to look around. I cant wait for you to stock yours. Im afraid Im going to miss everything though as im out all thursday. Any chance of saving us dec mommies anything or a preview LOL. Do you have photos of your past items? (the link didnt work in hyena cart for past stuff)
If anyone finds others sites, can you post it please. I didnt realize we had so many WAHM here. Im kind of encouraged now.
Its a scarry adventure but I think being in Canada, there is a lot of room in the diapering world for me.
Kelly, did you find the info on the VB stuff you were looking for. You sew them too dont you (for home use)? Im just going to be licensed for the AIOs for now but I really really love them
I cant wait to put the teeny tiny ones one the new babe.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Quote:
Desiree, what store did you have? I do think it's rough when you're super busy! Last holiday time I was swamped. I was teaching classes during the day, leading LLL, and had soooo many pkgs and felting to do plus a DH who works long hours! Whew. It was too much. This year is bound to be better. I'm only doing what I can and promising myself to be in bed before midnight each night.
I had Mama Essentials for 2 years. LOL It was pretty busy but with free shipping and expenses it wasnt worth it. I sold about 30,000 a year worth in sales but I spent about 26-28,000! All that everyday work for 2,000 a year?! LOL My dh works long hours too. No fun!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Oh, Desireee, it's so hard to figure it all out, isn't it!?!? Once i figured out how much I made per hour making my toys... it was laughable! But, I like doing it, so my goal is to only do what i enjoy doing.

BTW, I put Aubin;s store link up in my OP with links. http://www.parkavebaby.ca/ I had to do some digging, but i found it!

Ahhh, I just got my previews up at Hyena Cart. Ahhhh, I can relax a bit now today.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
So glad to see your previews, Spark. I've been wanting one of those wool balls for a while now . . . and they're organic, to boot! But, the stocking is during DS's 5th bday party, so I'm not holding out any hope that there will be any left when we get home, but I'll sure be checking!

Aubin, congratulations on getting your sample approved. I wish you all the best in your VB business. They are my all-time favorite dipes!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Aubin gave me the diaper and outfit in the last swap. I love it
as I said above and can hardly wait to use it. It is beautiful. Claire beat me to the web site as I was at a workshop for the day.

I haven't made the diapers yet, or even bought the things I need yet. I get so hung up on getting the "perfect" materials that it doesn't get done. I have been looking at buying the pattern for the VB AIO from DiaperShop, along with the PUL. for the bulk of my diapers i will use prefolds and snap covers.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Hey, thanks so much for the congrats on my balls
folks! (Sorry couldn't help but laugh about ball comments.
) My husband JUST finished my new site as well. That's the new link in my sig. Ahhh, it feels good to have a site completed. We had an older one, but this new one he did is much nicer I think.

It's so fun to have a WAHM group here in our EDD board!

Allnatural, there may be balls still in stock when you return. i don't know if they'll fly off the "shelves" like last year or not. Here I actually thought of making one for you during our swap, but I didn't have my new organic wool in yet!

Aubin, your site REALLY looks nice!
Who did it for you? Or did you do it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Claire, Your site looks great - so easy to navigate & understand! And I like your balls, too!!

I have been badgering DH for a new site for at least a year. It is supposedly going to be his winter project.....we'll see!

I am not a WAHM yet - but I suppose I will be soon! If I ever have time to make stuff again after the baby comes, that is! I also have a feeling my products will become a lot more kid-based. I can't wait to take Findley to festivals in the summer when we vend!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.