Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 13 weeks pregnant with my second and at first I thought I'd caught a bug but for weeks now I have been having such extreme cramping from my stomach all the way to my lower intestines. Sometimes I can't stand up straight it hurts so much. I was thinking this must be an unfortunate side affect of the pg but haven't read anything about it in any books.

We don't have insurance for a dr so I can't just run in for a check up so I was hoping someone else might have experienced this or knows what I'm talking about. I can hardly eat a full meal because my stomach begins to cramp and feels like it is about to explode because it's too full. I can't find any correlation between what I am eating and the onset of pain... any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I'm 13 weeks as well and have none of the feelings you're describing. It sounds a bit worrysome actually, something I would get checked out if it lasted longer than a few days or so...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and what you're describing sounds really similar. Do you have regular bowel movements? gas? diarrhea? If you're constipated (which is very typical for pg), I would suggest oatmeal with raisins, prune juice (mixed with apple juice for flavor), and wheat bran (soak in warm apple/prune juice for 15 minutes, then drink). If it's gas and/or diarrhea, I would suggest trying a very gentle diet...bananas, apple sauce, toast, lots of fluids (esp water). You can also try enteric coated peppermint capsules, which stay intact until they reach your intestines and then release the peppermint, which calms the intestinal muscles. I would suggest chamomile tea and ginger for your stomach. Are you feeling anxious at all? For me, anxiety would always set off these painful episodes...so do whatever you can to relax...take a warm bath, take a few days off from daily chores/work (or at least lighten your load if you can). If the pain persists, I would get checked out by a doc. Good luck mama...I know how much this must suck for you and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have you had any previous trouble with ovarian cysts? Sorry to be such a panic-monger, but I had one that had to be removed at 12 weeks (didn't hurt the baby at all). It woke me up at 3am, and I can't even describe the pain. I couldn't sit still, could barely walk. It was bad. I've heard that sometimes they burst and are very painful as well. Mine wasn't bursting, it was just being very large.
The first thing they did in the ER was give me an enema (yay!), so I guess make sure it isn't constipation first. If the pain continues, though, go to the hospital. Is there a public health clinic in your area? Are you eligible for Medicaid? (I'm sure you've thought of all this).
Good luck. I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I felt that way with dd2 and a little with this pregnancy. For me it was a combination of constipation and gas. Make sure you're getting plently of water. I hope its something as simple as that...good luck

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ladies! To answer a few questions, yes, I am under HUGE stress (nursing school, a recent move, an unexpected pregnancy, raising a 1 year old and dealing with just being married
). I have had bad gas (so lovely to say) constipation and boughts of diarrhea as well. I am pretty sure it isn't ovarian related because the pain sits so high in my abdomen at times and moves around quite a bit.
My first thought was that it might be an ectopic pregnancy but just when the pain gets really bad it will go away for a bit and then return.

It's probably stress and some pregnancy induced IBS, I guess
:
Just when you think you've explored every possible pregnancy symptom, your body creates a perfectly new one for ya!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think if it was ectopic, you'd notice by now- usually they start to go south before 13wks. I know mine did. The pain also wasn't high in my abdomen, it was low and off to one side, and occasionally it would shoot down my leg, which was horrible. I suspect you'd also have some shoulder pain, etc, by now too.

I think it's probably just some rough IBS, unfortunately! I might be inclined to see a doctor or your midwife just to be sure, though. I hope you feel better soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.