Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd and with #2 I bought a maya sling. I loved it, thought I lost it, replaced it with another ring sling. So now I have two ring slings as my original maya reappeared. I always wanted to venture out of the ring sling but by that time ds was 2 and was barely using the sling anymore it was hard to justify. Buuuuuutttttt with another one coming along I can certainly justify a new sling
. I like the idea of a pouch and I like the idea of snaps as opposed to the rings. I always struggled with my rings when I was taking baby in and out - usually when he was older and wanted to get down, get up, get down, get up etc. So what do you guys have? What do you love? What are you thinking for new babe? Anyone have a mesh sling or a sling that can be used in water? We spend a lot of time at the pool and beach in the summer and this babe will be approaching 6 months in the summer and I'm thinking a water sling may be fun as well.

On that note what are you mamas of 1+ buying with this baby. We sold our crib last summer since we never used it anyway. We won't be buying another one. We do have a pak n play though. We also sold all the baby toys like exersaucer, highchair, baby swing, bouncy chair etc. I think they are all over kill for the most part. We will probably buy another bouncy chair just to have a place to set the babe down once and a while and maybe a high chair but part of me thinks we could skip that as well. We do have a chair that fits onto regular chairs at the table that they can sit in so I'm thinking we could just use that. GThe high chairs get so disgusting after a while and they take up so much space. We threw away our infant car seat so we will have to get a new one but it was 6 years old so we probably would have anyway. What about you?

Micky

·
Registered
177 Posts
i tried slinging gracie a lot when she was an infant - i went through 2 - the nojo and the OTSBH. she hated both of them - was never comfortable or something. then, when she was about 4 months old, i had a lady i know measure me and make a non-adjustable one - i loved it!! and by that time, she could just sit on my hip in it.

so i was thinking this time i would get a maya wrap. i am thinking the reason i couldn't use the padded slings was because i am so short (only 5 ft tall) and i just couldn't adjust them tight enough - too much padding. so i am hoping the non-padded maya will work better for me.

what do you think?? any other short mamas??

·
Registered
567 Posts
this is my second and we love our ergo for ds, still use it frequently. I've also got a Kozy carrier that I love for a snuggly front carry. Last winter I bought a babywearing winter jacket with a panel that can zip into the front or the back and be worn over baby/toddler and keep us both warm. it's GREAT! we have really cold winters here winnipeg and too much snow to use a stroller. I loved it for running errands on foot.
we co-sleep, but are going to upgrade to a king size bed. We have tons of diapers in every size, the infant car seat is still great since ds outgrew it at 4 months old, we just got DS a britax marathon since he outgrew the evenflo convertible seat so we're set for car safety, also have a high chair and booster already.
the only things i want to get for this new babe are fabric and patterns so I can make a pouch like a hotslings for the newborn period, and some nice little gowns since they are so versatile.
Oh, I also have a solarveil water sling and it's GREAT! ds rode in it every day for about a year so I could have a shower

·
Registered
177 Posts
Erin - if you learn how make a pouch sling, would you consider making one for me? i would love to buy one from you! i would really like to have one - they look so comfy! but hotslings are so expensive - and truthfully i don't konw how they would fit. i have such a hard time with that stuff being so short and all...

lmk if you are interested!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm between 5'2-5'3 and I did have good luck for the most part with my maya. The second sling I bought was a kissasling and it has a padded shoulder but not pouch and I that worked well also. I actually perferred that to the maya because the tail wasn't as long or wide. I think that was my biggest problem with the maya. The tail was so long and wide it easily got twisted and I constantly had to rethread it. I didn't have that problem as much with my kissasling.

Anybody have a kangaroo korner pouch. This is one I'm thinking of getting?

http://www.kangarookorner.com/

·
Registered
567 Posts
hmm, I'll have to think about that. My sewing list is pretty long right now, and I've got high hopes for sewing window treatments for our new house.
I know a girl who bought a hotsling and she said it wasn't very expensive compared to other types of pouches out there. $36 compared to $50-70 for others.
However, if you can sew there are instructions online to show you how to sew your own. I think they are free too! I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link here though...the rules of MDC ya know?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin+babyAndrew
Oh! i had a kangaroo korner fleece pouch and it was great! but ds got too hot in it so I sold it.
The fleece is the one thing holding me up. Everything I read says the fleece is better in terms of support but I worry about summer and being too hot. We do lots of outdoor stuff in the summer and I can better slinging a baby for a long time out there in the heat and I can't imagine fleece but I don't want to be lacking in support either. oooohhhhhhh the fun of deciding

Micky

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin+babyAndrew
hmm, I'll have to think about that. My sewing list is pretty long right now, and I've got high hopes for sewing window treatments for our new house.
I know a girl who bought a hotsling and she said it wasn't very expensive compared to other types of pouches out there. $36 compared to $50-70 for others.
However, if you can sew there are instructions online to show you how to sew your own. I think they are free too! I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link here though...the rules of MDC ya know?

oh i thought they were more expensive than that!! that is good news!
my husbad's grandma is a sewing extraordinaire and i bet she would help me sew one. can you pm me the address maybe?? i would love to look at it!! thanks!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I make my own slings (and have made them for several friends as well) - they are unpadded, Maya Wrap type. I used a NoJo for the first year with my first baby, then started having trouble carrying her in the hip position with all the padding. So I tried a Maya Pouch, and just didn't like it as well - I like having the adjustability of a ring sling. So I figured out how to make my own. I still have one, but I like to keep two at a time (one in the house, one in the car) so I'll be making another one for this baby.

I've never tried a fleece sling - I would think that would be nice in cold weather but definitely too hot (for both me and the baby) in warm weather. I haven't tried a water sling, either. But my regular slings get LOTS of use for sure!

As for other baby gear...we still have a highchair in good shape, a backpack carrier, and a double and single stroller. What we don't have anymore that I will need/want to get:
infant carseat/carrier
bouncy chair
baby bath tub (I usually take a shower with the baby but sometimes having the little tub is nice)
exersaucer and doorway jumper (for when the baby is bigger - both of mine LOVED those things)
one of those floor gyms (the little quilted thing with the arches over it that hold toys)

We cosleep so we don't need a crib or pack-n-play. I did use a changing table with both the other kids for a really long time, but that is now Noah's dresser...so we'll just make due with changing the baby on the floor and the bed this time. Oh, I guess a baby swing would be nice, maybe one of those.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I have a nojo that we never really liked then I got a WAHM made ring sling after DS outgrew the sling. It'll be great for summer it's super light weight and yellow

I really want an ERGO for when baby gets a bit bigger. I'm very large chested and I think wearing baby on my back would be great!

Other stuff;
we have an infant seat, no stroller with it though, that's fine
we are not planning on getting any type of bouncer, swing, playgym or any of that till we find out if this kid will like it. DS hated it all!
Still have changing table.
And TONS of boys clothes (I'm thinking this is a girl
)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I briefly tried a pouch but didn't like it at all. I feel that no adjustability means not fitting well over time if you plan to use it for many months. Maybe with a stretchy fabric it would help some. Ended up getting a Maya Wrap but there was a ring recall (this was back in '01) and when they replaced the rings, they were larger and not nearly as comfortable, plus dd was getting really heavy, so that was the end of the sling. I found our Baby Bjorn to be more comfortable and dd liked it a lot better than the sling overall. It doesn't look as cool and earth-mama-ish as a sling and I couldn't nurse in it, but the weight is more evenly distributed and dd liked it - wanted to be facing outward from 2 months, before she could fully hold her head up for long periods! (That's just my dd, always wanting to see what's going on.) I have considered getting a bundler style like the Didymos but don't know. I'm hoping to borrow an OTHBH from someone first to see if I like that.

Other than that, we have most of what we need for the baby, though I'll probably get a bouncy seat this time. I was adamantly opposed to such things first time around, but now I'm able to admit that it would have been nice at times to have a safe place to put dd where she could see me in the kitchen, etc. Not to mention that I've got another child to run after this time! Don't have any newborn dipes b/c we used a service - so I'll have to buy those.

Carol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is a thumbs up for the ERGO baby carrier! I am a shortie 5'3, kinda busty and have a 20lb 13 month old. We both love the ergo and it is great for hiking or walking the puppy or cleaning or whatever. I absolutely love the pocket in the front to stick my keys, wallet, cell phone, and whatever I need for just running in somewhere for an errand or 2. The waist strap really displaces the weight off my upper back. I want everyone to get them!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I would recommend a non-adjustable pouch sling from Hotslings. The fabrics are really cool and they're really easy to keep in a diaper bag. This time around, I think I'm going to get some cloth diapers and also knit, knit, knit! Wool soakers, longies, sweaters, anything. As for baby equipment, we have everything we could possibly use. A dresser would be nice for our room and to also hold baby clothes. I also might treat myself to a nice mei-tei (sp) or something. We might get the two other kids a swing set as sort of a consolation prize :LOL .

Oh, and lots of cheap plastic crap. Oh, wait. Not really.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I have a padded sling called a Heart 2 Heart, a Mei Tai which I am going to list on the trading post as soon as I get it washed (it is burgandy canvase straps and on one side and the other side is embroidered burgandy corduroy in case anyone is interested), an Ergo and a stretch hotsling. I want to get a padded Hotsling and maybe something else. Oh I also have a red Moby Wrap I'm going to list.

As for baby stuff I've decided to be considerably less "AP" this time. I have SID (sensory integration dysfunction) and having to hold the baby all the time sent me into severe ppd and anxiety attacks which my daughter. I have come to accept that I have to accept my own limitations so I'll be getting a bouncy seat and one of those mats with things for them to play with. Also a stroller/carseat combo. I have never co-slept (because of the SID) but I don't want to use a crib this time so I am getting a baby Amby. I've heard kids sleep way better in them and I am hoping to actually have a baby that can fall asleep on their own. Oh I also need to buy a couple of lact-aids because I had a breast reduction in 1999. I used the lact-aid for 16 months with my daughter but the two I used are gone now. I am hoping that I might have a full supply this time but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm a sling freak. I have 6--

hug a bub (love it for newborns)
ergo (good for older babies)
mei tai I made myself (also good for older)
ellaroo ring sling--got used, don't like it so much. I had a maya but sold it. I like the open tail ring slings better
another woven wrap I made myself
a stretch cotton pouch I made myself

I don't think I'll be getting any more slings :LOL

But, I don't have anything to change the baby in--no crib, no bassinet. So I am thinking a pack and play or something just for diaper changes.

Also, a moses basket to have a safe place to put him/her.

Otherwise, I want a new breast pump. I have an ameda PY and don't like it. I want a PIS instead.

I've got enough cloth diapers to diaper triplets (I have a wahm diaper business) but actually don't have enough teeny tiny ones, so I'll be making myself a couple dozen newborn fitteds.

I also have an amby--got it when DS was 6 months old and it was a lifesaver. He was super high needs and that was the only way I could put him down. I plan to use it for naps and part of the night. Heavenly, I also have SID and so does DS, and I never realized that contributed to my panic attacks and SID. I literally held him about 20 hours out of every day and I had severe PPD (mostly caused by the birth & hospitalization trauma, but also compounded by extreme sleep deprivation and the neediest baby anyone around here has ever met!) I am going to play it by ear with this one, but please, oh please, don't be as high needs as DS!! It took me a really long time--like a year--to get used to cosleeping. I wouldn't have done it except it was the only way DS would sleep.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I bought a Maya with my first, I loved it, until she got heavier and felt that it put a lot of strain on my shoulders. I also used it with my second but ran into the same problem. I went to a LLLI meeting recently that was an enrichement meeting with a sling show and tell. I learned so much but by far my favorite is now a simple peace of cloth for a wrap. It is so versitle and it really is easy. Go to Wearyourbaby.com Lots of great info on many different slings, learn different holds and even sewing patterns if your so inclined.

Here is a pic link, I had my 5 mo. old niece on my back and my 10 month old daughter on the front. Quite comfortably if you can believe that.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69131624hgJzvz

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Laurie, yep, that's a wrap sling. The hug a bub is like that, but it's cotton knit. It goes over both shoulders and is really comfy.

Here is a pic of me and DS at the zoo in the hug a bub. I think he was about 8 months there.
http://schnoogly.com/images/hugabubzoo.jpg

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
We are expecting #3 this time.
I have a Maya Wrap and love it. (I'm 5'4") Used it a TON.
I also have a OTSBH and like it OK.
I made a toile ABC,have a Babytrekker, and a Kelty too.
Oh and I just picked up an Original Hip Hammock at the thrifty for $1.

We need...hmmm...
an infant car seat couse we have borrowed both times before.
Our high chair is ugly and old but we will see...we said we would get a new one with the last kid.

Don't have a good stroller because the car ran over the wheel(long story) but again we will see if we need one. Last baby it was just easier to carry in the Maya.

I am excited to have a winter baby bc I have really wanted a KKAFP really bad! Now I will get one or have my seamstress friend make a knockoff.

If baby is a girl we don't really have any thing girly to dress it in! (I'm sure that would be torture to shop for girl clothes after 7 years of boys... :LOL

The Amby's look neat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts