Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get some wicked bouts of insomnia when pregnant. I lay in bed and jsut cannot sleep, despite utter exhaustion. I try meditation, baths, camomille tea, etc. If worst come to worse, would a small dose of Benedryl for a couple nights to break the cycle, hurt baby? I am 26w3d.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
That is what my doctor suggested when having sleep problems with DS (well tylenol simply sleep but its the same stuff)

he seems quite healthy...

It wasnt a daily thing but definitely an any time I just plain couldnt sleep no matter what I did sort of thing (which was pretty often towards the end)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I had quite a lot of benadryl during the last half of my second trimester and my last trimester. I am almost deathly allergic to my dog (mini schnauzer who is supposed to be easy on the allergies) when i am pregnant. Hives, constant itching, swollen eyes, swollen throat, wheezing....etc. it's so weird but the ONLY time I have a reaction to my dog allergy is during pregnancy and it is BAAAAAAD. I took benadryl about 3 or 4 times a week and it was the only thing that kept me physically normal. Both girls are fine, bright, healthy kiddos.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have allergy problems when I'm pregnant, too, and end up having times where I end up taking Benadryl a few nights in a row. At the end of my last pregnancy, my OB prescribed Ambien to help me get out of my bad insomnia cycles. Not sure if that's better or worse than Benadryl.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You might try this excellent magnesium powder drink mix: Natural Vitality NATURAL CALM.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitali...xgy_hpc_text_b
I swear the stuff helps me sleep--when I don't take it I can tell! I have a lot of insomnia, restless legs, hip pain with my pregnancies. This seems to help me deal at night. There are several flavors available and you'll want to work up to the maximum dosage slowly to avoid, um, "loose stools." I am also taking Calms Forte, a homeopathic medicine for relaxation.

I HATE that feeling of not being able to sleep when I am so exhausted, so I feel for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.