Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it's okay to occassionally use bleach on my diapers. I know it's bad for the environment and I don't regularly use bleach on anything, I don't think I even own any, LOL. But my dipes are looking so stained now that my girls are into solids. I hate it. I've gotten rid of the stink problem with the calgon soak, but I just never have time to get them outside to line dry, and we've had so few sunny days for it. Mostly, I'm washing at night after they go to bed. (I have 6mo twins and a 3YO...busy...busy...busy). Anyway, I was wondering if it's okay to occassionally use bleach on cloth dipes and bummis wraps? My MIL told me she used it in ever wash and never noticed any degradation of her fabrics. Will occassional use ruin my dipes?<br><br>
Thanks!<br><br>
Joy

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Occasional use will weaken the fibers some and cause the diaper to loose absorbancy more quickly, but if the small amount of damage it does doesn't concern you, and you don't care about how it will affect their resale value, then it's up to you. You should also be careful to rinse well as the residue may burn your baby's skin.<br>
There are a lot of other options before using bleach (besides the sun, obviously) that I would try first, though. A couple of easy solutions are products like Biz or Shout Oxy Power. A long hot soak occasionally will remove much of the staining without the need for chlorine bleach.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about very infrequent use of bleach on prefolds but don't ever use it on your diaper covers! I almost guarantee it would ruin them...<br><br>
Jenny<br>
SAHM to Noah (4), Joshua (2) and Sarah c-section 10/16/03

1 - 3 of 3 Posts