Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think that yes the US is more sposie-friendly because the US is more disposible of a country, meaning that a lot of people feel that convience is more important than the benefits of nondisposible items.
But that is only my opinion
Jessica

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...I guess I figured that since we do seem "wasteful" and "spoiled" as a country...that maybe sposies were some what of a luxury...and in other countries, they dont think twice about using cloth.....maybe that's just my perception of the world

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think it depends on the country. DH is from Thailand (rural Thailand at that) and they only know cloth. Maybe more "industrialized" nations use sposies as a "modern convenience"??? Not that I think they are conveinient :LOL

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think it is all about speed. Everyone wants to do as much as possible in the least amount of time. Most (most not all) people I know aren't exactly the stop and smell the roses kinda people. They consider sposies and things of the sort necessities for living. They were absolutely stumped when some family offered their leftover sposies and we said we didn't need them, they were like "How can you not need diapers!?" I made them I aware I didn't say I don't need diapers I said I just don't need sposie diapers. LOL

There are some people where I know if I led their lifestyle I would be using sposies. I would imagine cloth may be a hassle for some situations but I just don't live life in the fast lane I guess. ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I do know that cloth is more common in all South Asian countries though that is fast changing. But then it is not surprising either. People still use cloth for diapering at home and disposies only while travelling etc. for the convenience. And no, it is not because of a lack of resources, or availability or lack thereof. Just that cloth was always used and is understood to be best for the baby. Maybe it is also because of the weather, nothing like good breathable muslin or cotton against the skin in summer.And no disposable wipes either. Only cloth wipes or good old water is used always.

Ritu

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
my ped is from India and he said they are more cloth oriented there and they have MUCH less diaper rash. He was amazed when I showed up with a IPF on Nathan... He had never seen a snappi and asked where I had gotten it.
I try to wear my "latest" purchase whenever we have an appt. He gets a kick out of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts