Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trialing corn. I always feel guilty admitting I'm trialing foods, like I'm torturing her on purpose or something. So I'll get that out up front, I'm a mean, mean mommy who is eating corn.
But in my defense for choosing corn, we have re-tried almost everything I'm willing to re-try (I refuse to re-try dairy or nuts), and she DOES tolerate X-gum so it got me thinking.
Yeah, I still feel guilty.

Really though, we are on day 3, she has pooped on her normal schedule (first thing in the morning) , normal color, no rashes, etc. She does have an eczema breakout on her face but that was there before the corn and hasn't gotten worse. It also hasn't gotten better but we unfortunately spend hours outside in the cold (no car, lots of walking, esp with finishing xmas shopping) and I THINK thats whats setting it off. As a OT if anyone has any good suggestions as to what I can do to help her skin either heal and/or be protected from the cold, seriously let me know, I feel so bad for her!

Anyways, everything is normal EXCEPT she is sooooo cranky. And unhappy, and miserable. Her sleep is fine but just before falling asleep at night or for naps she melts down and just cries and cries and pulls off the breast and claws at me and cries.... So first I was thinking "the beginning of the end of corn", but I reached in her mouth and felt her first tooth!
: You can't even see it yet, but you can feel the entire top of it that has broken through the skin. So its working its way up.
So, I guess I have baby amnesia but I need to ask, are babies normally this miserable with teething? I know I would give DD1 hylands and occasionally tylenol so I guess she did let on that it was painful, but I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what it was like. Do you think this could be just the tooth and I should keep eating corn and wait for the bad poop or do you think miserable baby always = reaction? I know its a bad time to trial when getting a tooth but I didn't know!

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
It really is almost impossible to know when there are 2 factors involved. I guess you could stop the corn and see if it gets better??

On the cold weather topic- I slather DD up in a thick layer of Aquaphor before we go out, and I have a small tube in the diaper bag so that I can reapply every so often.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I think it could just be teething.

But (and not to make you doubt yourself any more), but did the face eczema correlate to the time you had xanthum gum? If you continue eating the corn and no other reactions occur or worsen, I'd probably chalk it up to teething. I hope you can keep the corn!

As for the face, I would hold a warm wet wash cloth to his cheeks once or twice a day to rehydrate them and then, immediately smear on some Vanicream lotion. Just lotioning them when they're dry won't help. The lotion needs to seal in the moisture, so make sure you moisten them with the wash cloth once or twice a day, depending on if he's taken a bath that day or not.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It is hard to know what is teething and what is allergies. My ds never took his hands out of his mouth all day yesterday and drooling everywhere. Red excema cheeks too. But all other symptoms look good. So I guess it is teething? I'm going to stay constant with my diet for now but any where in the future it is always a possiblity that teeth can be the issue.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
In my experience teething can make them pretty miserable. DS had surgery for a g-tube placement at 9 months old. He was pretty cranky afterwards, for a couple of days longer than the doctor felt he should have pain. He also was very defensive about his mouth, which wasn't typical for him. Because of this the doctor kept him on demerol longer than usual. Then on day 3 post surgery he woke up with 2 new teeth and was immediately fine -- his usual smiling self.

Now, I'm sure that the fact that he was in the hospital, and not getting to eat at all, didn't help the crankiness, but it was clear that he was in more pain from those 2 little teeth than he had been from them cutting a hole in his stomach and inserting a foreign obect.

And, yes, Demerol does wonders for teething pain -- not that I'm suggesting it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol momily w/ the demerol! But I'm sorry your LO had to go through that!

CP- trust me, I doubt myself in circles anyways
But in seriousness, I've been corn free about 3 months and started eating xanathan gum about a month into that. First in hemp milk and then I started using it in baking again, she hasn't had any affect from it that I can tell....I THINK the eczema sparked up from an accidental exposure to honey (on my part, not hers) about 2 weeks ago and has stuck around because of the cold exposure and ALSO (as marlee) brought up, the teething. I didn't even think of it, but most of hers is on her chin and she is drooling like crazy so I bet thats not helping. I need to get some aquaphor, one of DDs little friends decided to "paint" with my tube I had on our last playdate
So, we're currently out. Which could be why its sticking around too, that was about a week ago and shes been out in the cold air plenty since then.

I think shes ok with corn. I really want to insert the joy smilie here, but I'm nervous, this is day 4, aka the day we ALWAYS fail. But there has been zero spit up, no vile gas, no bad poops (or missing poops!).....and her mood has improved since yesterday.....
She actually started pulling her ears last night while falling asleep, her teeth must be really bugging her. But then she slept almost all the way through the night, crazy!
But now I'm trying to figure out what she was reacting to when I decided to pull corn, it was the last thing I pulled!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
teething can ABSOLUTELY cause misery! What I do is treat for that (castor oil rubs with EO's or hypericum oil and homeopathy...if necessary onion juice in the ear) and see where we stand. These things are so effective that if they dont' work I start looking for option B. I'm so sorry....I know it's hard, but not everything is a reaction and I'm REALLY glad you thought outside the allergy box on this one!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow. Its now what, day 5? everything is still ok. I am kind of in shock. Her face actually is even looking BETTER (so it must have been that honey....). Her mood is still ok too, its very clearly related to teething now.
How long until I call this a pass? and did I go without corn for 3 months for nothing or did she somehow magically outgrow that?? Its way too fast for outgrowing, right? esp since she hasn't outgrown anything else....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.