Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds2 (7 mos old and breastfeeding) has eczema, so I've been reading up on food intolerances and allergies.

I try to eat a mostly veg diet, and recently cut out soy (to try to figure out if ds's eczema has a trigger), so obviously I've upped the beans. I assumed this was the reason for my gas
and it seems to be related, but thought I'd see if it was worth exploring the possibility that it could be related to an actual food intolerance.

I read once that the more you eat beans, the less gassy you are likely to be after eating them. But I'm not sure that's happened with me. I've been eating mostly veg meals for, hmmm, well over a year now, and don't consume lots of soy.

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
With beans I don't think it necessarily means an intolerance. If you aren't giving them a good, long soak now, I'd do that before cooking them (I do a 24hr soak in my slow cooker on Warm), maybe even changing the water halfway through the soak, and then cooking in fresh water as well.

· Registered
5,655 Posts
It also could be that increasing the beans is triggering a food intolerance of something else. I don't understand fully how that works but I have a friend who is allergic to dairy if she consumes gluten for example. I know in my own children, gas was our first clear sign of food intolerance. Just a thought.

· Registered
5,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
It also could be that increasing the beans is triggering a food intolerance of something else. I don't understand fully how that works but I have a friend who is allergic to dairy if she consumes gluten for example. I know in my own children, gas was our first clear sign of food intolerance. Just a thought.
Me too. I can't eat beans anymore. I can't have dairy if I eat grains and too many legumes (aside from lentils, those seem fine), and I'd much rather covet my precious cheese here and there than eat a bean or bread

· Premium Member
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting! I'm not sure it's in response to the beans. I was just assuming it was, until yesterday.

So I guess I have one more thing to keep in mind during my elimination diet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.