Mothering Forum banner

Is he giving up his nap!?!?!?!

496 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Curious
I am so afraid that my 25 mo old is giving up his nap. But inconsistantly. Lately, ds has been spuratic with naps, some days taking a 2 hour nap from 1-3 (which is my ideal) and other days not falling asleep until 4:30 in his high chair with a snack
I have tried to make bedtime and waking times consistant but that really has not made a difference. It seems the more I try the worse it gets. I am so tempted to just say forget it and eliminate the nap but I just don't feel ready. Isn't he to young? BTW, he will sleep from 10:00pm to 7:30am, thats 9 1/2 hours and maybe we will get a good nap in durring the day.
Yesterday he woke at 8:00 am and napped from3:00-4:30, didn't go to bed until after 11:00. Today I tried to wake him up at 7:30 but he wouldn't wake up. I figured he needed sleep, he's had a cold, and he woke on his own at 8:45, never napped and is still awake now at 9:30! That seems like a bad thing.
So after I have rambled on and on I would like to know what other toddlers nap/sleep habits are and should I be trying to get ds to nap. I do feel that kids of all ages need structure even if there is no nap. so whatever we do I need it to be consistant and a routine. Thanks to all for your insight and experience.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
DD is 27 months and is almost done napping. Most days if she naps it's only for 30-45 minutes. Like your DS, if she DOES nap too long she is up too late and mommy needs her night time with Daddy, KWIM? As far as how much sleep they need, it varies by child. I have read anywhere from 10 - 12 hours a day. Some even less that that - some kids are high energy. DD sleeps from 8:30 - 6:00 9-1/2 hours with a short nap. The longest she will sleep now is 10 hours - this is down from 12 hours a few months ago. Also it doesn't matter if she goes to bed at midnight - she will STILL wake at 6! I have tried later to bed, later to rise and it didn't work.

It sounds like your DS still needs a nap if he falls asleep in the high chair with a snack. But don't let him nap so late in the day. My rule is if DD doesn't nap by 2:30 - 3:00 she doesn't nap (unless she's pooped of course, there are exceptions). You can also gauge if he's cranky by the end of a non-napping day then he still needs to nap. Some kids have funky internal clocks, not at all in sync with our wishes!

If there is one thing I have learned about sleep, it's just when I am happy with it, it changes.
See less See more
Don't worry! It's not over 'till it's over.

I thought Dd was ending her naps last December. But I just kept up the routine of getting into bed after lunch, and staying there about an hour and a half (her usual nap duration). I'd play possum, bring in a few books. Sometimes she'd end up falling asleep, often not. But after about 6 weeks, naps resumed. Dd still misses some days, but she knows the routine, it still refreshes her to quiet down awhile, but naps are definetly not over for us. Some days she'll sleep 3 hours!
My dd (32 months) only naps sporadically now, but before she really let naptime go she sounds a lot like your ds - not napping until late in the afternoon, and then up late at night. Now, without naps, she goes to bed several hours earlier (between 7:30 and 8:30, depending on the day's activities) and generally sleeps till about 8 or so in the morning. It was a shift - I still miss naptime! - but the evenings are now so much easier. I would guess that, if your ds is up so late at night, he is very close to being done with naps. Bummer!

Oh, we do do a "quiet time" routine after lunch - she is in her room or her "reading corner" playing quietly (or reatively quietly) on her own - so we both get a bit of downtime and I get a chance to catch up on things that are hard to do with her "assistance". I notice that, when we do not do this, she is sometimes crankier later on - she seems to really benefit from the quiettime and a bit of independent space. ANd i know I do!!
I did not mention in my earlier posts, what I do on days naps have been missed. I do everything I can to prevent falling asleep later in the afternoon, usually something very active, or outdoors, even if Dd is in the sling while I'm walking. Now that she's more able to walk distances on her own, I take her out pinecone hunting. It gets her past the late sleepytime, past the grumpy time, and sets us up well to come home to an early dinner and early bedtime. Then, hopefully up around 8 the next AM, for better luck next time.

I agree kristi that the no nap evenings (like tonight) are really easy, but I am still reluctant to give up naptime without a fight.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.