Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just adopted a 1.5yo chihuahua/dachsund mix (sp?). The dog is tiny, about 7lbs she says. She is wondering if it is a bad idea to let the dog sleep in bed with her. I have no clue whatsoever, so I thought I would ask here. She lives alone, if that makes a difference.

It's funny, because she was telling me that she read in a book that letting the dog sleep with her would cause dependence issues. And I said "Well, I don't know about dogs, but plenty of books said that about my kids and so far no problems at all!"

But of course, dogs aren't human, so I don't know if this kind of theory translates. Any doggie AP advice?

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Not dependence issues (that's actually kind of a funny thought) but dominance and possibly aggression issues. If the dog sleeps in your bed, sometimes that can lead it to believe it doesn't have to listen to you, or that it's your boss. It's more pronounced if the dog is more dominant by nature to start with.

AP doesn't really work with dogs. They need hierarchy to feel secure.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My pekingese (Pip, btw) sleeps in the family bed. He had a few times when he growled at us for 'taking his spot'! so I firmly showed him that I was 'top dog'. Now we all co-sleep peacefully. If the bed isn't to his liking...................he leaves. I often wake up to him on my pillow where there is more room and less activity.

So, as long as her new little one can share while knowing if anyone goes its her I would give it a green light.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a chihuahua and she sleeps in bed with us everynight. She has her own 'crate/bed' but would much rather be with us, and we have had no issues. We have a 65 lb mutt that is welcome in the bed too. As long as the dogs know who is 'boss', I see no troubles at all.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We had one of our shepherds sleep with us at one time...when we all needed the closeness and love. He's since passed. We don't let any of the other shepherds (3) sleep with us and only one of them is allowed in the house at all times.

If she likes it, then it's okay... I'd definitely make sure the dog knows who's in charge though... hehe

April
intuitive medium

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
It's all about pack structure. If you, as the leader, decide that the dog can sleep in the bed, fine. But it must have rules and boundaries--the dog can never be allowed to make YOU move, or to growl or grumble at being moved itself.

Being on the bed is a major privilege. Some dogs can handle it without trying to take over, but some just can't. If there are any signs of dominance-related disobedience, the dog should be off the bed and preferably in a crate at night.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Our late Chihuahua, Chi Chi, used to sleep in bed with us. We were one cozy, little happy pack. She is gone now and I miss having that little fur ball in bed. The only downside is that she'd sometimes jump out of bed to investigate a noise or whatever and she wouldn't be able to get back up, so she'd whimper until one of us woke up to pick her up.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs
It's all about pack structure. If you, as the leader, decide that the dog can sleep in the bed, fine. But it must have rules and boundaries--the dog can never be allowed to make YOU move, or to growl or grumble at being moved itself.

Being on the bed is a major privilege. Some dogs can handle it without trying to take over, but some just can't. If there are any signs of dominance-related disobedience, the dog should be off the bed and preferably in a crate at night.
I think this is exactly right. It depends on the dog's temperment. We had a german shepherd/retriever mix with dominance issues that we could not allow on the bed because it fed his belief that he was in charge and led to aggression towards us. Our beagle mix, however, was a born follower and had no issues with it.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Once again, Joanna already said it all...I'm getting slow!!
The only thing I would add is that if this is a newly adopted adult dog, I'd wait until pack order has been properly cemented in her head--mainly in the interest of preventing problems as the dog settles in, after that, if she's fine with it and can have the privledge without abusing it, sure.
Havoc is allowed to sleep in bed wiht me, but not with dh. He knows that and accepts it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a pom that was born and raised in our home, she sleeps in my bed. We have never had any problems with her, she is VERY submissive by nature though. When she was born there was her mother, our German shepherd/chow chow mix, and a very intolerant cat ahead of her in the "pack" and that's just the animals
So she never really got a chance to be "top dog", not that I think she would have anyway. She's the type that if she has to sleep alone she'll freak and cry all night
Just a big baby like that.

My DBF and I have a 5 mo German shepherd mix (lab?) that sleeps where she falls, sometimes with us sometimes not. She has a much more dominant personality, but she temperament is so happy-go-lucky I doubt we'll ever have any aggressive problems with her. That's pretty much the point I would put my foot down.

Personally I think it's rarely a problem with the little dogs, but a compromise might be that the pup sleeps at the foot of the bed? Still establish some dominance? Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Our Chihuahua always sleeps with us. We couldn't call it the "family bed" without him!

(You can't see him in the bed in my siggie because he's hiding under the covers--his usual place at night
)

·
Premium Member
45,396 Posts
Our Lhasa has tried it a few times, but got sick of being kicked off accidentally in the middle of the night (and it's a high bed!). Her favourite spot now is right outside dd2's bedroom, or on the rug in her room.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have no problem with it as long as the dog knows that you're the boss. If the dog shows any signs of aggression or dominance issues, have the dog sleep somewhere else.

My 10 lb. dog, a shih tuz sleeps on my bed!!!! He's so adorable

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I didn't let my dog into the bed (or on any furniture) until he turned one. After that, we had gone through the small puppy phase and the worst of the teenage phase, and I felt he was ready for it. But, even now, he can only sleep near my feet ... never any farther up. Though, I admit, that this is mainly because he gives off SO much heat. He's like a large, electric blanket.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
We have a shih tzu who sleeps with us. For the first year or so, he slept in his crate and he still will, without protest, if we tell him to. He knows it's our bed and he just gets to sleep there when we let him.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My worry is about hygiene...she goes everywhere with me (my little dog) and who knows what is on her paws. And worms, and fleas? I have de-parasited her and frontlined her (egads that stuff is awful), which I am hate doing but need to know she's not carrying vermin.

But I LOVE having her in the bed!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't let or dog sleep on our beds or even get on furniture. I'm not a huge dog lover (DH is), sometimes I can barely stand to let the dog inside, with all the shedding, dirt, etc. I can only imagine what kind of bugs, dirt, fecal matter stuck on the hairs by it's butt...the dog would bring into the bed.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I wish our guy would sleep with me more. He sleeps on his own bed in my bedroom. He does get up on the bed sometimes in the am to cuddle a little but that is rare. He likes lovin' but only when he wants it.... he's not a real needy dog, which is one of the things I love about Borzois.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.