Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my siblings could crawl really well, so I never experienced this:

DD started army crawling at 3.5-4months. She can also sit and "scooch" herself forward to get something. She can go up on all fours, but refuses to crawl. It seems she is scared of falling.

Here's the thing, she is pulling herself up and starting to walk. If you try to put her down on her bum or knees, she will get mad and 'stiffen' her legs. she just wants me to hold her arms and walk her.

I've heard that this can damage their legs? Is this true? Is it a case by case thing? What about missing a developmental milestone???

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
A lot of babies skip cross crawling and go straight to walking. However, it IS important at some point for them to cross crawl because it helps connect left brain and right brain. That being said, a lot of the ones that skip cross crawling usually do it when they are a little bit older.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Crawling is actually not considered an important developmental milestone - about 2/3 of babies don't ever crawl. As long as your baby figures out a way to get from point A to point B, she is doing fine.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My first was like that, only wanted to walk. He finally crawled at 11 mo, just for a couple weeks then it was back to walking. Ds2 has made much more of an effort to crawl, but loves to walk as well. Didn't damage ds1's legs at all...he was pretty bow legged too but that straightened out. My dad thought his bow legs would get worse if he didn't crawl, that was simply not true.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At my son's 9 month WBV, my ped. said that crawling was not a developmental milestone at all. At now 11 months, my son will get up on all fours, but doesn't actually crawl. He pushes up on his arms and then pushes with his knees and toes to propel himself forward as his hands help in pulling him along. Needless to say, he has a pretty strong upper body, doing all of those pushups.

-Astrid

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
My brother never crawled. He just sat up and "scooch-ed" everywhere untill he was ready to walk. Didn't seem to have any long lasting effects. (he's 19!) We still tease him, though! (He's the youngest of 6. and it was SO cute!)

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
My son was in PT and we saw several experts in the crawling age range. Not one cared whether he crawled. He did crawl but they really didn't make a deal of it. It's not a milestone. They want them to be able to use the position for pulling to stand. That's it. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Sounds like she's doing fine!

She probably does left/right coordination while army crawling. Watch. I imagine she pushes with a left arm and scoots a right leg and vice versa. In fact, in working on that area with my son (who did crawl) the behavioral optometrist wants him to army crawl. I can't remember why but it was better than regular crawling for that area. It doesn't matter if she doesn't use the opposite limbs though. Her brain can do just fine without it!

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
As long as your LO has the strength to hold his body up with his legs (but may be lacking balance), walking with help is fine. DD pushed herself to standing in our laps from about 2 months, and around 5 months she was cruising along furniture. There was really no stopping her! She didn't crawl until she was almost 9 months old. I think there may be problems if you try to MAKE a child put weight on his legs, when he isn't ready for it yet.

I would say go with the flow, and do what your child asks you to do.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I don't remember where, but I read once that it doesn't matter when the cross-crawling happens, it's just good for it to happen at all. So games where your toddler pretends to be a dog or a horse or something work just as well as crawling as a baby for whatever brain thing it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.